New to Geocaching, What should I buy?

I was thinking of buying the kit at costco ( CLICKY ) which comes with:

--Magellan SporTrak Pro Hand-held GPS Receiver

--Two(2) AA Batteries

--Power Adapter for Automobile Use

--PC Cable

--MapSend Street and Destination Software

--Canvas Carrying Case

for a price of 275.00, and I also get 75 dollars mail in rebates.

Is this a deal for a first timer, or should i look else where? Are Magellan SporTrak pro Okay?

that is similar to the kit i bought. after rebate it was about 150. mine came with a suction window mount for the car, and a fit case with plastic window. i like the sportrak pro.. plenty of geaocaching power. you can get by with a lot less, but it is a fun little GPSr.

i am going to get a unit that can accept more memory.. just look into that option too.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

A family that Geocaches together... eventually gets wet.

required reading

My first bible

I am looking to buy a new unit myself and that looks like a great deal...BUT upon reading the fine print on the rebate it says "Special product packs for warehouse clubs are not eligible". But on the Costco site they say you can get the $75 rebate? I am not sure whats up here? What does anyone think? If you can get all that stuff though for $200, that is a steal.

I bought my first GPSr last week. After careful consideration and some time poking around for deals, I went the cheap and dirty route of eBay for a Magellan 315.

The unit isn't the most advanced, but I figure it's a good place for me to start and so far it met every one of my needs. I don't know that I'll ever want the bells and whistles of the more advanced units, but at current I can't afford said amenities anyway. Doesn't matter, though, the 315 is packed with cool stuff.

The best part was the price. These units are going for as low as US$65 for new, in the box. Perfect for the budget of a poor college students like myself. Sure you have to put up with a little more hassle, but I got the unit for half the list price.

Not sure if the unit you're looking for will be available, but if you're looking to cut corners in cost, give it a shot.

On the other hand, I'm still looking for the data cables and software that comes with your package deal.

/Benjamin

Carbondale, IL

Caching Newbie

Just wanted to add one more little important piece of info I found on the "Costco" site:

This item is covered by Costco's guarantee to refund your purchase price if you are not completely satisfied. Costco's guarantee applies, even though this item may not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, because Costco is not an "authorized" dealer of the merchandise.

Small print is important, make sure you read it icon_wink.gif

Kar