Serial to USB Adapter

Minkling

I have the I/O gear adapter I bought at Fry's. I am actually using the Belkin driver for XP. Works good. Make sure you set the right COM port in preferences. I also use the adapter with ActiveSync 3.5 for my PDA. I have to disable ActiveSync in order for the GPS to work.

"I can't find the longitude for the North Pole"

I have that adapter, which Belkin driver are you using and how did you install it? I tried to use the driver that was mentioned earlier in this post only my computer won't allow it to go. I even told it to use that driver and it said that it wouldn't work with my hardware. I can barely get the adapter to work. I might get a download then it crashes.

Ciao

quote:
Originally posted by iweb:

Would using the usb cable take the place of getting a card reader for my Platinum 64 meg SD chip?

if you are using a usb to serial, it will NOT take the place of the sd card reader. the usb just allows the serial cable to connect through a usb port, however, still runs at serial speads. if you have a usb card reader connected to a usb port, it will transfer at usb speeds which is really a lot faster. hope i explained this right

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

I purchased an adaptor for my HP laptop so I could connect to my SporTrak Pro. Unfortunately the laptop has either not assigned a com port for the adaptor or something else is wrong. When I go through the list of ports available they all say they are already in use. I will play with it a little more then its off to HP support to find out what the problem is.

quote:
Originally posted by Night Stalker:

I purchased an adaptor for my HP laptop so I could connect to my SporTrak Pro. Unfortunately the laptop has either not assigned a com port for the adaptor or something else is wrong. When I go through the list of ports available they all say they are already in use. I will play with it a little more then its off to HP support to find out what the problem is.

if you right click on your "my computer"

click on properties.

click on hardware tab

click on device manager

click on port (com&ltp) make sure the gps is connected to the adapter which is connected to a usb port also make sure you ahve installed the driver too) under "port"

find that adapter

click on that adapter under "port"

click on port setting

on the lower left corner change com or port number to something lower... i used 2 i think. not sure it matters. close everything and give it a go

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Night Stalker:

My problem is that the new computer is Windows XP and I can't find the settings for this in XP. As far as I can find out port 1-8 are already designated fro something else.

i am using xp... tell me which part of my explination your getting stuck on and maybe i can help explain myself better. i am not a computer guy so sometimes my explinations are lacking...

you can also try to get me on aol instant messenger if you have it... my nick is "geocacherhelp" icon_wink.gif

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

I haven't tried the procedure on XP yet. I am not in the same state as my Pc at the moment. I will work with this when I get back home. It is just that I am used to older versions of windows where I know how to play and I don't know the procedures for this operating system.

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!