TOPO software

JCfans

I am looking for a good topo mapping software. I am not concerned with hooking my Etrex up to it. I would just like to be able to punch in cordinates of caches I am looking to visit and view detailed topo maps of the area. I have found several but would like to hear the opinions of those who have used them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been using DeLorme Topo USA for a couple of years (upgraded once to version 3.0, haven't gone to version 4.0 yet though) I really like it, and find it to be very helpfull geocaching. I use it just like you want to and occationally connect my gps to it. I do download my tracks into it after geocaching. Local roads and alleys are very accurate. ver 4.0 includes a free sat. image of one area of your choice.

one more word: Before you buy Topo USA, decide if you want USGS 7.5 minute (most detail) topographic maps. First, I bought Topo USA (whole US for the price). I found it somewhat limiting, having used paper USGS maps, before the digital days. It has roads & some topo data, but many details are lacking. I made the step up to 3D TopoQuads, and am glad I did. Problem is the price, which is for just one state (or half, if you're in CA). Just S. CA does it for me. LOTS more detail. Only downside is that you have to realize that most USGS Topo maps have not been updated in 10-15 years, or sometimes even more! If you are looking for newer (civilization) data, it's a problem. If you are wilderness hiking (like we mostly do), it's great, since it doesn't change much. Transfers work great. Geocaching (caches or BM)via EasyGPS (free) to GPS. GPS to Delorme TopoQuads. RIGHT ON everytime. Eyeballing to landmarks & topo lines, very good. Might be better than the actual GPS coords. Whew!

I guess I'm a much more casual user of mapping software than a lot of you are. If I can get a reasonable idea of difficulty of the terrain in the area of the caches I intend to visit and the best approach by road I'm happy. I try to navigate by the navigation screen on my GPS mostly because it's more fun that way, but I like to print out a local small scale map for reference if needed.

As I said I like to download my tracks into TOPO USA. I have no trouble downloading my Globalmap 100 tracks individually. I have not been able to down any of the 10 tracks that my son's Vista stores on an individual basis. It always seems to download all 10 tracks as one large track. It is probabally something I am doing wrong when saving the tracks in that Vista or the way they are named or something.

Does anyone have a suggestion??

A possible solution to "segmenting" tracks with your son's Vista might be to transfer the tracks FIRST into MapSource (assuming you have some Garmin mapping software). From here, all the tracks are listed individually (including the 'current' active track - it's separated by each time it lost signal or was turned off - and each has its own date and time).

From here you can delete the tracks you don't want included, and then use the EXPORT command to save them in a format your other program wants to see. I've used this with a great free 3D track program to only see the data I want. I haven't tried it with the combination of programs you're using however.