Vista worth $135? Or GPS 76 MAPS for $285?

elkhorn98

I have the 76S and have had no problems with it. It does have a better internal antenna than the Vista and also has a jack for an external antenna which greatly improves reception under tree cover. I use one all the time. It also has audible alarms and proximity waypoints. The Vista has neither of these. The display is a little bigger and it also has tide prediction tables if you might be using it on a boat sometimes. It's a bigger unit overall and a little heavier.

The Vista sells new for about $294, and the 76s for about $389.

Both have builtin barometric altimeters and magnetic compass. Its hard to believe that it would be the Vista for $135 but if it is, thats the one you should get on bargain value alone.

My time, your time is limited, but time itself is unlimited.

Sorry I should have made it more clear. Vista is 349 and then a $50 dollar rebate. 76 MapS is 449 at cabelas then I have $165 dollars of cabelas points (I have a cabelas credit card). So that how I can get them for $135 vista and $285 for the 76 MapS. This is my first GPS and I am worried about the vista and its antenna? And is Garmin going to discontinuethe Etrex series? That is a rumor I have heard with all the rebates.

I've had both units and I far prefer the 76S. Poindexter pointed out most of the reasons, but I might add that being larger, the screen is easier to read, especially in the car, and the buttons are easier to use. One thing I would point out is that there is little point in getting a mapping GPS if you don't buy the Garmin mapping software, and you won't find these much cheaper than $90 each. I bought the US Topo and the Metroguide. One has 1:100,000 topo maps and the other has road maps. The 76S has enough memory that you can have both map sets loaded for your region and use the road map mapset for your drive to the trailhead and switch to the topo map set for your hike in.

So there you go. For a bunch more money you get a better antanae, Tide Tables, Proximity waypoints and better keys (Vista has a click stick).

If you actually will use these features it's well worth they money. Besides you are getting good prices. If you won't actually use these features then you are wasting money you could spend on other things.

Wherever you go there you are.

I have 2 Vistas and I love them. I rarely leave home without one. If they were as large as the 76 and a bit heavier, I would probably think about whether I needed to take it, but the vista is so small and light, fits easily in a cheap cell phone case that clips on my belt or in a pocket and in a phone holder mounted in my car, that I always take it and am often glad I did. I think the antenna issue is overstated, not that it couldn't be better, but it is almost always good enough. If it weren't, Garmin wouldn't be able to sell any of the etrex series in such a competetive market. I cannot immagine that Garmin will soon abandon the etrex line that they have been supporting so actively for the past 2 years. I hope they will release new and better units, but they certainly have a good thing going with the Vista and its family.