I've got a Mac

Dawgspit

I checked out the web site and could not tell which program would adddress my question. What do you guys do? How do you go about downloading the goecaches from this site to your GPSr? Is this totally obvious and I'm just overlooking it? icon_confused.gif

"Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around." Calvin of Calvin & Hobbes

dawgspit asked:

Are there any of you guys out there that use Macs? I guess my question is how do I go about downloading waypoints and transferring them to my Legend.

Try MacGPSPro at . I've had success downloading waypoints to an iMac and uploading them to a Legend. It's relatively cheap and it's been updated to an OSX version. The author forwards updates to registered users quite often.

I guess I'll assume you have a working Serial/USB adapter -- if not, there has been a lot of discussion here about that.

GPSy is worth a look too but the promised OSX update is loooooooong overdue.

Bob

Well, you might just want to use SoftPC or ProPC or whatever type of winXX emulator software is out there. That should enable you to run the various types of PC gps&mapping software that's out there--and with G4 Power! (assuming, of course, you have a G4 icon_wink.gif )

As to the others giving you guffaws about your *most excellent* choices in hardware...let me just say this: "Using a Mac is a very sound choice, anything less is RISCky business."

*Ducking* in advance icon_wink.gif,

Warm regards,

Firefishe/N8PZT

196939_600.gif

I am a Mac user and all of my experience is with the Garmin Vista and only OSX.

Software:

I find that you need Virtual PC (I use the XP Pro version) to flash the firmware of your GPS. And to run the Mapsource software for uploading/downloading maps, routes and waypoints.

Mac GPS is great for converting waypoints dowmloaded here on Geocaching.com and uploading them to the GPS.

Hardware:

You need a USB to serial converter. This is where it got tricky for me.

Keyspan has one that works for the firmware flashing and for uploading waypoints. Still fails sometimes and you have to do it twice.

I can also get it to work for fairly small maps. Anything larger than 2 MB's or so have failed for me. Also stressing the processor (by playing iTunes, for instance) seems to help keep the failure from happening as soon.

A company called IOGear makes a converter that uploads the maps/waypoints without fail but doesn't seem to work for the firmware flashing.

So with both together I can do what I want but it was hard getting there.

Hope this helps,

Lance

quote:
It would be nice to have some free-ware like easy GPS, but it sounds like the programs you guys recommend are worth the money.

GPSBabel is freeware and will let you upload and download waypoints from your GPS via a USB-Serial adapter and OSX.

You could also try hasling the two people who were working on Mac native 'EasyGPS' versions. Have a look at this thread and this thread. (I have played with the beta of Mac SimpleGPS and it worked great but I have not heard of when Karl is planning on rolling out the final version)

Cheers

Nick.

I emailed silent yellow dog about his software and will let you know what he says or maybe he'll post here. I tried downloading GPSBabel but their site was down temporarily, soooooo, we'll try again later. Thanks for the tips Big Nick! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by dawgspit:

I emailed silent yellow dog about his software and will let you know what he says or maybe he'll post here.

After I posted my message I also contacted Karl and he said that his kids had been keeping him pretty busy and he had not had time to do much on the program. Kids, who needs them icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Cheers

Nick.

By the way if you are running OS9 I would simply get VPC4 on ebay. You can usually pick it up for 30 to 40 bucks WITH Windows 98.

VPC4 works great with OS9.

If you're running OSX (as I am) than you want VPC6 which will set you back some.

On my dual processor g4 (867 megahertz) VPC runs windows a bit faster than my old PC at work. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Keyspan has one that works for the firmware flashing and for uploading waypoints. Still fails sometimes and you have to do it twice.

I can also get it to work for fairly small maps. Anything larger than 2 MB's or so have failed for me. Also stressing the processor (by playing iTunes, for instance) seems to help keep the failure from happening as soon.

A company called IOGear makes a converter that uploads the maps/waypoints without fail but doesn't seem to work for the firmware flashing.

By the way, with the IOGEAR a common mistake people are making is that they install the MAC drivers. This will cause problems. Launch VPC and THEN plug in the IOGEAR. You should install the latest Windows drivers and install them WITHIN Virtual PC.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I've used Windows since about version 3 (1990) up through XP Professional, and have also used both OS 9 and OS X. OS X beats them all with respect to GUI, stability, ease of upgrades, and elegance. The OS just doesn't get in the way, unlike windows which is always in your face about something.

What any of this has to do with waypoints is beyond me, but it's at least as relevant as some of the posts above icon_biggrin.gif ^^^^^^^

Up to three days ago, I too, thought I could use my mac powerbook g3 with os 9.2 with vpc version 4-windows se. I only have usb ports. I tried two adaptors, iogear and keyspan. Downloaded all drivers from cd as well as web sites. I got the setup to read from the gps once using mapsource. I never could get easygps to work. I downloaded easygs for virtual pc. Tried all sort of set ups. Installed vpc three times.

I have returned all of the gear and purchased a used dell notebook on ebay. Now, everything works! Good luck with your setup

When I bought a palm pilot a couple of years ago, I had to get the usb/serial adaptor to hotsyc. I was assuming i could use that cable...I hope it works. I don't have money to buy another computer, so if it doesn't I'll have to borrow a friends pc. That is going to be a huge hassle. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I have a Garmin Legend, an iBook running OS10.2.3 and a Keyspan adaptor. I just purchased Mac GPS Pro. I am able to successfully download waypoints to my computer and plot them on a map. I have only tried this, no uploads etc. I am interested in hearing how others are doing with their set-ups. Right now the biggest problem is finding a place to hike that isn't icy!

quote:
Originally posted by ljo:

I have a Garmin Legend, an iBook running OS10.2.3 and a Keyspan adaptor. I just purchased Mac GPS Pro. I am able to successfully download waypoints to my computer and plot them on a map. I have only tried this, no uploads etc. I am interested in hearing how others are doing with their set-ups. Right now the biggest problem is finding a place to hike that isn't icy!

I haved the exact same setup. Working great! Including taking myself while driving using the "realtime" feature! I am loving MacGPS Pro. I just need to find some road maps now.

Matthew

http://www.defenseengineering.org/rowe/