magellan meridian platinum

i just ordered my new platinum GPS its gonna rock i wanna get mapsend streets and put on the phoenix area in detail but im not sure how big of a card to get and i dont really wanna pay 60 bucks for the softare so if any one has mapsend and wants to make 5 bucks or whatever for loading the cd for me or burning it let me know...

I'm sure you're expecting the pirating lecture that you will be receiving here soon.

As far as the other questions, I would recommend a 128MB card. They are pretty cheap now and will hold more than enough map data for you. If you only need the Phoenix area you could get away with a 32MB card. Also, look into TOPO instead of streets for geocaching.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by Geomaniac:

I am wondering if the meridian platinum will accept any other type of map - ie a map that has been geocoded or registered with Ozi-Explorer?

Nope...you're married to the MapSend products

homer.gif

Here's my problem with the Magellan Platnium..the book that came with is of little or no value. It does mention that you can get more details from the CD that comes with the unit. We didn't get that with our purchase. Have contacted the company to no avail, any suggestions? It's hard to learn how to use it by trial and error. We have successfully found a few caches thanks to our son-in-law who is experienced in geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Tired and Retired:

Here's my problem with the Magellan Platnium..the book that came with is of little or no value.

A great help is the FAQ in the Yahoo Meridian group files section.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian/files/

You will have to join to get access. If you elect to receive messages by email, be forewarned that it is a very active group with a *lot* of messages daily. But you can also elect to just view them on by webview if/when you want.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

I'm sure you're expecting the pirating lecture that you will be receiving here soon.

As far as the other questions, I would recommend a 128MB card. They are pretty cheap now and will hold more than enough map data for you. If you only need the Phoenix area you could get away with a 32MB card. Also, look into TOPO instead of streets for geocaching.

http://208.55.63.109/images/homer.gif

__"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."__

I just bought a 128Mb Sandisk SD card at CompUSA in Phoenix for $49.00 AND I get a $50.00 rebate. That's right, they paid me $1 minus tax for the SD card! WoooHooooo!

imatrout

quote:
Originally posted by TeamTrout:

I just bought a 128Mb Sandisk SD card at CompUSA in Phoenix for $49.00 AND I get a $50.00 rebate. That's right, they paid me $1 minus tax for the SD card! WoooHooooo!

imatrout

Now THAT is a steal!!

homer.gif

quote:

imatrout

I've just called a bunch of CompUSA's in NJ and not one has anything close to that! Hey imatrout...wanna pick up one for me?! lol! Or how about just letting us know the phone # of the store you got it at? Thanks!

m