garmin 76s

QuickKarl

Quite happy, good maps, good screen, lotsa track memory, etc. Seems tough enough. Use alone and feeding PC with lighter/PC cord.

There is a lot of screen by screen flexibility, there are so many menus to find, it'll keep you busy for weeks learning all the toys.

I could be happier.

It's a battery pig (especially with the compass on -- remember to use the button to shut it off), and it seems to lose signal in ridiculous places: on the creek with no tree cover, highways, etc.

Maybe I've got a lemon, maybe I've got too-high expectations. But my buddy's bluetooth GPSr talking to his iPaq didn't seem to lose signal.

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know

Hint ... do an auto locate everyonce in awhile. Sometimes due to some other issues this will help update the alm. data.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Great unit. Just drove 800 miles to Jackson,Wy with the unit flat on the SUV dash..never lost reception unless moved the unit to our passenger seat, but if you keep it close to the window, no problem. Battery only last about 4 hrs, but we are constantly changing menus and zooming in/out. We keep a 1 hr charger handy in the car and carry 4 extra AA batteries. Never without an extra battery. Hiked yesterday in the Tetons and lost reception a few times but in heavy trees and steep canyon walls. Also just have the unit in my Cargo Pants. I like the size of the screen and buttons.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Og Rof A Klaw:

only problem on mine was lockups.

Do you remember the software version that gave you problems? I haven't experienced anything like that with mine so far. I'm up to date but I've gone through the last two releases without any issues.

I never use the battery saver mode and I never have the compass on unless I'm using it ... but I consistently get 10 to 12 hours or more.

I have been using my 76S since April 2002 and absolutely love it. If I had to b#@tch about anything to do with the unit it would be that you can't hold it vertically when using the compass like you supposedly can with some of the magellen GPSs. I also had problems with mine locking up with firmware version 3.20. Since I downloaded V3.30 I have not had any problems at all. Its a great unit. I just wish we could get a "Tricks, Tips, and other things" thread for the 76S going.

quote:
Originally posted by Growley:

... Its a great unit. I just wish we could get a "Tricks, Tips, and other things" thread for the 76S going.

HEY ... jump in there and start one!

Well I'll be darn ... I'm on 3.2 right now .. I've not had the lock up problem ... but that's probably a good reason to take her up a notch. Wonder why I've not run into that problem before?

No i haven't used the batterysavemode but the compass is turned off unless i need it for a cache. the 4 hours life was only a guess i think it is about 6 hours but we are constantly changing zoom, checking distances, next intersection info,etc. in fact my wife can't keep her hands off of it. Hiked Death Canyon with very steep sides and 100 ft trees in the Tetons and lost reception a few times going up but almost never on the way down and the GPS is just stuffed in my cargo pant. Maybe the Sat were better located.

Timely question...

I just bought one and used it today for the first time. I really like it. My second choice was the Magellan Meridian Platinum - I can't really say why I chose the Garmin.

I was also looking at the higher-end eTrex models. I really liked the 'thumb stick' but I didn't care for the unlabeled buttons on the side, and the 76S has a larger screen.

Happy shopping,

Bob

If it does, it's clled something different. The GPSMAP76S and the eTrex series use a different operating system, so nothing is exactly the same.

Can you explain what the "delete alamanac" feature does? Then I'll know better if the 76 has the same thing.

With the 76S, you delete Trip Computer, Routes, Tracks, and Points from the corresponding menus.

-Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Anders.:

Does the 76 S have a "delete almanac" short-cut, like the Vista has?

Hi Anders ... I can't find this function on mine ... and I have the latest upgrade. If it's there it's buried somewhere on a menu I've not been able to find.

It's not obvious on the Vista either. With a Vista, if you hold the page button where powering up, it will delete your almanac and start downloading a new from the satellites. One of these secret things.

Doing a master reset will give the same result, but this method doesn't clear everything else, as the reset does.

The almanac is the information about the satellites and their movements above our heads.

Anders