Question for seasoned gps users

Daft Tart

I dont know if the answer to this is 'no such luck' or 'contradiction in terms', but perhaps you can help!!

Right, I am new to this and in need of my own GPS (borrowing one at the moment, but it's not too accurate). What I need is something cheep and accurate. Would also like 'position averaging' and on board compass, but doubt that comes cheep!! Am I asking the impossible??

If anyone has any recomendations, preferably under $200, please let me know make and model and, if possible, where I can get it. I don't mind second hand or refurbished equipment if it brings the price down.

Thanx,

Daft Tart

I purchased the Magellan Meridian Platinum for around $300. It has lots and lots of features including temperature and barometer, altitude, compass. It uses SD cards for additional storage of waypoints, routes and local maps. I found it quite useful on my motorcycle trip to New Hampshire and Maine. I was able to load points of interest for my destinations: restaurants, campgrounds, museums, tourist attractions, etc.

Yes, basically a contradiction in terms.

Som what does "but it's not too accurate" actually mean in quantitative terms and just what accuracy are to expecting/hoping to get anyway?

Why would you like "Position Averaging", any particular reason?

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bigmacbridge:

hi so this is how it works. new at this. will my garmen e trex take me right to a cache or are there differend aproches paths or do i just bushwack and follow the arrow?

You'll have to think. It will show you the direction/distance to the cache (waypoint) but how you get there is up to you. Typically (and read the cache pages and some recent logs for that cache), there's info on how to get to the cache including where to park, trails to take, etc.

I'd suggest doing some easier ones that don't require a lot of thought. That way you can get used to how to use the GPS to find a cache and then move on to hunting it down in the middle of woods and a few trails.