MacOS X GPS Software Bounty - $300 in prizes!

Okay.. I've been using MacOS X since 10.0 release as my sole desktop, both at home and work. I've been very dissapointed by the GPS software availability, to be honest.

I tried to get my roommate to write something, but he declined, sighting other projects. So, here I am, putting my money where my mouth is with a bounty.

== $120 ===

I will pay $120 total to the author(s) the first peice of software that I can use under MacOS X without emulation (this includes VPC and Classic), that does:

* Can upload .loc (XML) waypoint files to a Magellan Meridian and a Garmin eTrex via Keyspan USB->Serial adapter.

* Can download waypoints from a Magellan Meridian and a Garmin eTrex via Keyspan USB->Serial adapter, and write them out as .loc files.

* Provides a GUI to edit, add, and delete waypoints to these files.

* Has a method of retrieving the current set of coordinates from the GPS, to use when editing or adding a waypoint.

== $20 additional ==

If the import, export, and current coordinate functions can be triggered via an OSA compatible language (ala AppleScript).

== $30 additional ==

If the import, export, and current coordinate functions can be triggered via a command-line.

== $130 bonus! ==

I wasn't going to put this one in here, but I figured it would be nice. This bonus only applies if the $120 prize, in addition to one of the other (OSA or command line) prizes is accomplished. $130 bonus goes to you if the full buildable source code to accomplish the above is made available to the public, and is licensed via an OSI certified license: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

BSD or MIT being my preferred licenses. I have no issue with you making a derivative commercial version, of course.

The rewards will be paid via PayPal or Money Order.

I will actively participate in testing if need be. I can arrange for ssh access to my machine for testing with either of these GPS units. Special arrangements can be made if need be.

Feel free to contact me at osxbounty@stromberg.org or post to this thread if you have questions.

[This message was edited by helixblue on July 28, 2002 at 01:30 PM.]

[This message was edited by helixblue on July 28, 2002 at 01:47 PM.]

Well you've already seen my other thread here. Some of the features you've listed in your bounty will be included in my software (now titled "Geode"). In the first version of Geode I'll be supporting the Garmin protocol (Magellan and other protocols coming later), various import/export options, some integration with various geocaching/gps related websitees) and hopefully applescript support.

I won't be adding command line support but as you can run osa scripts from the Mac OS X command line (osascript 'tell application "geode" to blah') that isn't a big deal. Although if running osascript through the terminal proves to be inadaquate I might consider adding a terminal based solution at a later time.

I more than likely will not be releasing the source to my project. To be honest with projects like this there is very little to gain from opensourcing the software. I've worked on some opensource projects before and quite frankly I am less than impressed with the opensource development model.

So I'll be quite happy to claim $140 or so of your reward when the software is released. I'm shooting for around mid August for the first beta release, although it's looking as if the software will still be alpha quality by that date. Keep checking the thread referred to by the URL I mentioned previously for updates.

[updated minor grammer fixes]

Well, I can't afford to throw in $300 on my own, being a poor med student and all, but I'll certainly put some of my money on the table, too.

I'll add $20 for anyone who provides software meeting the first set of the original criteria, and $20 more if the Open Source requirements are met.

Sure, its not too much, but wouldn't you rather have $340 than $300?

Modulo the GUI for waypoint editing, gpsbabel does much of what you guys are looking for. I'll let you decide if http://gpsbabel.sf.net solves any problems for you.

It works under OS/X.

This week I've talked to folks using it with keyspan USB adapters.

It reads and writes geocaching loc.

It reads and writes Magellan serial and flash cards.

It reads and writes Garmin serial. (Fixes for V coming later this week.)

It has command line invocation.

It doesn't have a "real" GUI. It doesn't do AppleScript.

It's open source - GPL to be precise.

It has a prototype GUI wrapper in Tk. It isn't for waypoint editing but rather for simplifying the command line interface.

(And I'm not muscling for the cash. If you want to send me money, I wouldn't refuse it, but I'd rather just share the programming work that I and others have done so it doesn't have to be invented again.)

Since there is no demo of the MacGPS Pro software available, I was wondering if there are any Mac users out there who use this and can comment about its features, especially those that would be useful to Geocachers.

[/quote

Why not go to the MacGPSPro site and read what is available there? Go to

The price for the OSX upgrade is pretty reasonable -- $10 for anyone who had the previous version.

The earlier post is correct -- MacGPSPro only works with Garmin receivers.

An OSX version of GPSy is also supposed to be coming. GPSy works with a wider variety of receivers. Look at .

quote:

Originally posted by bstevent:

Why not go to the MacGPSPro site...?

Cheesehead Dave said:

I did go there already. It looks promising, but what I'm really wondering is if anyone here uses it and finds it useful for Geocaching, especially compared to other software such as ExpertGPS for Windows.

I've just spent the last day playing with OSX version 4.0.2 of MacGPSPro. Here is some information. What else do you want to know?

It will open base maps of various sorts and overlay waypoints, tracks and routes. An example: I've got Canadian 1:50,000 scale topo maps in .png format that I can open, convert to .pict format and calibrate. They work fine.

MacGPSPro will give you a real time display on the basemap which means, if you have a laptop, you can have a moving map display. Of course, it will NOT upload maps to the gps receiver.

It will download and upload waypoints, tracks and routes from the GPS receiver. You can edit them graphically with the program or open them in a text editor for editing.

It will download and translate .loc files from this site. (You don't need EasyGPS or Expert GPS). I've had mixed success converting other files.

I'm using a Keyspan USA-19 serial/USB adapter to connect an Etrex Legend to an iMac. (I do also use Virtual PC to upload firmware updates and MapSource maps but the Keyspan adapter doesn't work for that -- an Iogear UC232A works).

i have som problems importing maps into mac gpspro.

I purchased a map from lantmäteriet in sweden over an area and the map come to me in .tiff format and there was also a textfile with the extension .tfw attached.

I can open the tiff picture in mac gpspro but i cant set the coordinates. I guess that ehe .tfw file contains some info for that but i don't know how to get them in there.

I also run OSX and want an update... where can i find it? can't se it on the site!

Anyone ???

/stOrOle

quote:
Originally posted by stOrOle:

i have som problems importing maps into mac gpspro.

I purchased a map from lantmäteriet in sweden over an area and the map come to me in .tiff format and there was also a textfile with the extension .tfw attached.

I can open the tiff picture in mac gpspro but i cant set the coordinates. I guess that ehe .tfw file contains some info for that but i don't know how to get them in there.

By "set the coordinates" I assume you mean calibrate the map. MacGPSPro asks you information it needs to do that when you open the file the first time. That info is available in the map legend. Open the tiff file in OS X Preview to see if it includes the legend. If not, you may need to look at a hard copy map of the same general area to get the information. See the MacGPSPro help files for further explanation of calibrating maps.

quote:
I also run OSX and want an update... where can i find it? can't se it on the site!

Not sure what you mean. OS X updates are handled through the System Preferences, Software Update panel. MacGPSPro updates are emailed to registered owners when they become available (4.0.2 is the current version).