Magellan upgrade?

pbarr86

I found the ability to save waypoints/routes/tracks to the SD card well worth the upgrade, also the change maps function is a little bit more handy than code 92. Just back up you current waypoints/routes/tracks with a program like easyGPS, or ozi, or mapsend.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

OK, i'm trying to upgrade to 3.12 I have been following the instruction exactly when I get to the point where it says "Updating to version 3.12. Proceed with software upload?" I accept and then all it does is scroll through the com ports and never does anything. Yes my GPS is on, yes it's plugged into the back. I have it plugged into my computer into the slot that has a picture like this above it [00] (or a box w/ 2 circles in it) it's the only spot on my computer that it could plug into, perhaps it's the wrong slot.

Help,

Paul icon_frown.gif

You might want to try downloading EasyGPS (if you don't allready have it, you will want it) and clicking on "GPS" in the top tool bar, then select "test serial connection"...that will at least tell you if your computer and GPS are speaking to each other. I had to change the com port # ( to com port 2) on mine because of other devices I have plugged into my computer.

It's worth a shot......

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

[This message was edited by mtnsteve on November 03, 2002 at 07:50 PM.]

I found that my SporTrak defaults to a 4800bps connect speed. The update software (and easyGPS) is probably wanting to connect at 9600.

You'll most likely have to go into Settings on your GPSr and change it to 9600.

- If the cat had kittens in the oven, we wouldn't call 'em biscuits. -

OK I checked NMEA is off. I just don't think I'm connecting to my GPS. While trying to upgrade the software I am getting a window that says "establishing communication with reciver"

And then it tries to connect using com1 at 1200, 4800, 9600, 19200 baud then it tries com2, com3 and com4 then it starts over again at com1

This is driving me nutso icon_frown.gif

any Ideas?

Paul

Okay, some other ideas. Do you have a palm device? This may take the serial port. I use a usb with my pocketpc, but I still had to change a setting so it does not try using the com port.

You may also want to check the com speed in the device manager on your comp. I don't know what it should be, but mine is at 9600, and this works for me. But I usually have my gpsr set to 4800 baud when doing a software upload.

Check to make sure the contact points on the back of the unit are clean.

Can you get it to work with any other program?

You may also want to try the esc-goto and power combo to get the unit into software upload mode.

Wyatt W.

let meknowif any of this works.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.