Custom Peel Off Screen Protectors for Meridian, GPS V, Etrex and others

Hi Guys

I saw the discussion on scratch prevention which caught my eye since I've dropped my new GPSr twice since I got it last week and was nervous about scratches.

They were awesome! They had sizes for several different GPSr's but not for the Sportraks. I sent an email asking whether they could make them and Brad emailed me 2 hours later saying he could have them in the mail tomorrow!

I've heard nothing but good things about them and he was great to talk to.

They are $6.95 for 12 and he's even throwing in a bunch of extras. I'm probably going to drop some in caches but if anyone in the Rochester area wants to try them out, let me know because I'll have a few extras. (just one more way to meet some "veterans"...." icon_smile.gif

The link to the GPS products is:

http://strongengineering.com/miva?/Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BA&Category_Code=SPGPS

BTW, I have NO connection to them at all.

"We have such sites to show you..."

I got some for my Magellan and like many of you, they included several packets of additional screen savers to use in caches...

This is one OK outfit.

Who ever runs their customer service department deserves a bonus.

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....

Thanks for the link... I ordered during the week and they came this am. However, the are about 1/4" too small width wise and and almost 1/4" longer; they look like they would fit the Map 330. Anybody else, do they fit perfectly? Sent email to them, they are marked MG100, just not a good fit.

The "extras" in the brown envelope, one is verg large and the other two are both different sizes!??!? icon_smile.gif

de mortuis nil nisi bonum

Yep, got mine and they were too small also. No problem, as I am confident that Brad will correct the problem. The clarity is fantastic ... I'm going to throw out my Belkin covers.

Wanted to share something that you might want to try. I messed around with one of the extras from Brad trying to get it installed without any air bubbles. I'm reasonably good with my hands, but I couldn't get it installed without an air bubble or two. Same problem with other covers also.

So, I tried something we do when covering model airplanes with monocoat. I sprayed the screen lightly with a fine mist of water ... lightly is the operative word. Then I peeled off the entire screen protector and applied it to the screen. With a light mist of water on the screen, I could move the screen protector around that little bit that is necessary to get it just right. Then I used a squeegee to move the water out from the middle of the screen towards the edge; and ultimately, out from under the protector. Wiped the screen clean and found I had a perfect application. Not a single bubble!!!

Jeepster

- We did not inherit the land from our parents; we are borrowing it from our children.

Jeepster,

That sounds like a good method of getting the screen protector applied without air bubbles, I will have to try that with the next one that I put on. Although that may be a while because these things hold up pretty darn well. It might take me a few years to use a 16 but thats fine by me. I myself use the credit card method for applying the protectors and yes I got air bubbles but not bad. Thanks again for the suggestion.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

After seeing the notice about these screen savers a couple weeks ago, I emailed Brad with the dimentions of my Magnum NAV-40 and in just hours received an email back saying he could have them in the mail for me on Monday (this was a Sunday!). Then, realizing he probably didn't have a picture of this unit for his site, I sent another email with a picture attachment. He thanked me for the picture and 'Bingo', a way for me to re-order more savers in the future.

Ya gotta love the service over there...!

"Nobody cares what you REALLY do,

as long as the paperwork looks good"

I received my screen protectors from Strong Engineering recently and they are a perfect fit for my Meridian Platinum. They are super clear and durable. It will take me some time to use the pack I ordered. It gives me some piece of mind that I won't screw up my screen and have to incur an expensive repair bill. I was even able to pass along some of the free screen protectors that Brad from Strong included with my order in one of the caches I visited this week. Hopefully, the cacher that finds them may be able to use one of them. Strong Engineering gets two thumbs up for a quality product and customer service that goes above and beyond. I recommend them to anyone looking for GPS screen protectors.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster:

Yep, got mine and they were too small also. No problem, as I am confident that Brad will correct the problem. The clarity is fantastic ... I'm going to throw out my Belkin covers.

Wanted to share something that you might want to try. I messed around with one of the extras from Brad trying to get it installed without any air bubbles. I'm reasonably good with my hands, but I couldn't get it installed without an air bubble or two. Same problem with other covers also.

So, I tried something we do when covering model airplanes with monocoat. I sprayed the screen lightly with a fine mist of water ... lightly is the operative word. Then I peeled off the entire screen protector and applied it to the screen. With a light mist of water on the screen, I could move the screen protector around that little bit that is necessary to get it just right. Then I used a squeegee to move the water out from the middle of the screen towards the edge; and ultimately, out from under the protector. Wiped the screen clean and found I had a perfect application. Not a single bubble!!!

Jeepster

- We did not inherit the land from our parents; we are borrowing it from our children.

That's actually how automotive window tint is applied. I bet the squeege used for that would work well. Also the die-cut decals that go on a lot of car windshields are applied the same way. I bet a sign maker company offers them pretty cheap. My ex-g/f used to work for a sign co, so I still have one lyin around from way back when.

I recently purchased a Garmin GPS V from a fellow geocacher and expect it to arrive tomorrow. I was talking to him about the screen protectors and he said he didn't like them because of the glare they create from the sun.

Has anyone else experienced this problem. He said especially when sitting on the dash of his truck it makes it harder to see. Even while caching, he says he prefers a bare screen.

He is using the screen protectors from Strong. I know it would be safer to use them to keep from scratching the screen. Maybe I'll get some to use only while caching.