Garmin vs Magellan

uglystick

Neither is better. They are just different. You can't go wrong with either. I own a Vista and its an excellent unit and I know people who own Meridians and like them.

If compact size is important to you, the Vista is a great choice. I just slip mine into my pocket and take it nearly everywhere. I couldn't do that with a Meridian.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I own a Vista so I guess that makes me biased. I don't know....I have no allegiance to any manufacturer.

I debated, with myself, this same question. I had narrowed it down to the Plat and the Vista.

My *MAIN* use of a GPS is backpacking...so the size and weight eventually won out....FOR ME!

The issue I long debated was the memory expansion. The Plat has all you'll ever need...but does the Vista?

Well, it depends. What I discovered was that the Vista, with much LESS memory, could still hold every single TOPO I would ever need.....so I bought the Vista. Should I ever decide to backpack around the world I'll get the Plat. Also, the resolution was better with the Vista and I have bad reading eyesight.

The answer is as stated by others here....you can't go wrong either direction. If you're a techie then you'll need to analyse and analyse and compare and create an Excel Spreadsheet to figure out the best one.

If you want to actually *USE* the GPS then you can't make a wrong decision. - JamesJM

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I just slip mine into my pocket and take it nearly everywhere. I couldn't do that with a Meridian.

Is that a Meridian in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

(you knew that was coming icon_smile.gif)

On the subject, I chose the Meridian because of the expandable memory. That was important to me, but I know others are happy with the built-in memory of other units.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

When I went with the eTrex line, I was hesitant because it didn't have a memory expansion capability. But I've downloaded topo maps for pretty much anyplace in the Northeast I frequent.

All of NJ, about 1/4 of NY state including NYC and Long Island, parts of PA, Mass and Vt with room to spare, so memory hasn't been an issue for me

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonWrath:

Oh and what happens when you are caught by geomuggles caching? Can you use your Meridian as a fake cell phone? Maybe a cell phone from the 20th century... icon_wink.gif

I don't feel the need to hide my Meridian when I get -caught-. If anyone presses the issue I'll say, "It's a freakin' GPS reciever, OK? Do I ask you what you have in your hands?"

quote:

Oh and what happens when you are caught by geomuggles caching? Can you use your Meridian as a fake cell phone? Maybe a cell phone from the 20th century... icon_wink.gif

My shirt is big enough it actually holds the MeriPlat quite well. Just the other day, I ran into a couple of geocachers and they didn't realize it was in my pocket till I pulled it out after asking... Geocachers?

As for muggles, well when (and not if) I do get caught, I tell them the truth. I'm a nerd, and on a high tech scavenger hunt. icon_biggrin.gif They either lose immediate interest, or they express interest and want to learn more.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

quote:

I don't feel the need to hide my Meridian when I get -caught-. If anyone presses the issue I'll say, "It's a freakin' GPS reciever, OK? Do I ask you what you have in your hands?"

Best answer award! icon_biggrin.gif

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Your best bet would be to go down to your local retailer and handle as many units as they carry and find one that you feel most comfortable using. It's not a matter of which one is better because they will both get you to the general area of the cache. Whats most important is to find the unit you feel most comfortable with and gets you the most for the money you are willing to spend.

Once you have found a unit you like, you can come home and do a price comparison on the internet, cause thats where the most savings will be found.

Kar