Visiting the UK

WeightMan

I will be visiting the UK in mid September and am hoping to do some caching while there. My current plans call for myself and a friend to spend 8 nights in London (with some side trips to nearby areas using your rail system) We will take the train to Edinburgh, spending one night there before renting a car and driving south. We will spend some time near Hadrian's wall before spending the night in Durham. We will then drive to York before turning in the car and taking the train to London that evening.

If there are any caches in any of those areas, please let me know. I do not, as a rule, do virtuals and we won't have time to spend two or three hours on a cache. I spent two weeks in Durham four years ago and I have seen most of the spots listed on the virtual tour of Durham. I noticed that one a few months ago, but I have not checked up on it lately. I do have this link to caches near the tube in London, but I don't know much about any of the caches.

I will also try to pick up any TB's needing to go to the US. I will try to also pick up some here that need to get to Europe.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

WeightMan

quote:
Originally posted by The Good Shepherds:

Which part of Hadrians wall are you heading for? GC372B (The long stone) is a short but pleasant walk, with stunning views down on the fort + excavations at Vindolanda - highly recommeded icon_smile.gif

We intend to check out the east end near Newcastle. I will certainly check out The long stone as well as the three suggested in Greenwich. I think Greenwich will be on the list of places to visit although both of us have been there.

WeightMan

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

If you're still around Edinburgh on the 20th September, you could do worse than call in http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=85483.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

That sounds like fun, but I return to the states earlier that week. The area sounds like fun as well. Are there any caches nearby? Without the proper coordinates it is a bit harder to tell.

Thanks

WeightMan

I would also recommend 'The long stone' near Hadrian's Wall, though it's probably 30 miles from Newcastle. After our visit we posted some photos of the views over Vindolanda if you want to take a look.

We haven't got around to 'Lost Posts' yet, but if you're planning on visiting Housesteads fort, that may be a good cache to try (though it may take up too much time).

The wall isn't so visible near Newcastle and you may be disappointed, so it's well worth driving the extra miles to see it properly.

While you're in London I'd recommend 'St Etheldreda's'. It's not a virtual and the church is very interesting, it's also well off the tourist trail. I walked from King's Cross, but there's bound to be a closer station.

It's a shame you aren't planning to spend more time outside London.

If you have a little time to explore while in York, Holes in the Wall (N Yorks) is a good one even though it's now a virtual. It's definitely somewhere you wouldn't find if you didn't know it was there.

Hope you enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for the responses. One of the great things about geocaching is the places that people place caches are great places to visit. Geocachers know the right spots to go.

I just picked up a road map of Northern England and The Midlands. I think I see where Long Stone is and if we come down A68 and pick up the A69 it should not be too far out of our way. We will have all day to drive from Edinburgh to Durham so that should not be much of a problem.

I appreciate the links to the search page and the interactive map. Those will be most helpful. There are two caches near the event cache that Pharisee suggested and both sound like they will be good ones. Since they are also near A68 they should work out nicely on our way south.

I had heard about the Hole in the Wall cache in York and will make an effort to find it.

The friend traveling with me is not a cacher and so we will have to be doing other things. If I can get six caches or so on these few days out of London I will feel like I have done well. I don't intend to spend all that time in London. I will be out of town on several days. I just am not sure yet where I will go.

WeightMan

Edinburgh has caches deliberately set up to cover the main city centre/tourist areas, as follows:

There are others further out of the frequently-trafficked areas, but if you're going to be in town for only one day, these might serve you best. Can't really comment on the quality of any but Arthur's Seat (really nice) and the webcam (clever), because the others are mine!

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

Evil Rooster,

Thanks for that list. The creepy multi sounds like fun. What an interesting history as well. The first one I looked at was Arthur's Chair and imagine my surprise when at the top of the list of TB's was one I found not long ago at the end of a nine step multi. It has only been in one other cache since I placed it. One other TB in the cache wants to get back to my area, but I would pass on that one since it has not been traveling very long.

I will certainly plan on doing a few of these while I am visiting your beautiful city. I hope to see more of this time than I did my last visit. I was on a day trip from Durham and had to be back for an athletics meet the next day in Jarrow. The whole day was so foggy that I could not see the ball drop for the one o'clock gun, although I was in the castle watching the gun being fired. Perhaps this time I can be at the ball and see the gun while doing that cache.

WeightMan

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

We visited York earlier this year: there are quite a few caches around York... if you are interested, I'll try & work out the best ones.

Paul

Another proud member of the GAGB!

At this point I only have Hole in the Wall and The Stonegate Devil and both of them are virtuals. Any other in the immediate York vicinity would be helpful. I leave next Sunday morning and will probably not have web access while I am gone.

Weight Man

I would like to thank all those who offered suggestions for caches in the UK. I did get to eight in the London area, but for several reasons I was not able to do much looking elsewhere. I was traveling with a friend who is not into caching. Since he was doing the driving, I was a bit limited in that regard. Driving was an experience to say the least. He had not driven a manual transmission in several years, but that was not too much of a problem. We just had trouble getting into reverse. I had to do most of that shifting from the passenger seat. The biggest problem we had was not driving on the left side, but driving from the right side of the car. We also had problems with time. It just too longer to get from one place to another than we had planned.

I did enjoy my time in your country and I'm sorry that I was not able to hit those caches in the North and Midlands that were suggested. We did try a few, but not being familiar with the roads and how and where we could park we just had to give up on those near Hadrian's Wall that we tried. Thanks to the suggestions of you folks we did get to the wall near Hexham. Your efforts did aid in my enjoyment of this holiday.

This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Weight Man