New Cache - Old Location.

Sandstorm

We're approaching our first minor milestone - I suppose 50 just begins to set you out as "not quite a newbie". Any way, to celebrate this momentous occasion I was hoping to place a new cache at an old location. The first cache we found – Agglestone Rock - was in a great location but was sadly archived in January 03 by the now lapsed cacher who placed it – GPS Walker. So the cache is still there in the database but archived, presumably permanently and this interesting location will never be visited by any new cachers. If we place a new cache near the location it will be within the 0.1 mile exclusion zone around the archived cache. So the question is - will it get approval or not? Seems a shame if it won’t.

Sandstorm

- Stephen

"Are we nearly there yet?"

Yup. We noticed a nice cache was archived due to the owner leaving the country, so we placed a new one in exactly the same place. It could have been adopted, but coordinating with Groundspeak while the original owner was emigrating would have proven difficult - so we placed it, and noted that if anyone had found the old one, they'd find nothing new in that location!

We've had a couple of people log it 'again', especially when someone else plans their route for them!

quote:
Originally posted by Subarite:

I may be wrong (i.e. memory not so good) but I seem to remember a golf course when approaching from the west and walking across the greens...

Andy.

----------------------------------------

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. - Isaac Asimov

We also approached down the hill through the golf course; it was the last 15' which got particularly thorny. But the Rock and it's views more than made up for that.

Dave

Founder member of GAGB

quote:
Originally posted by wing-co:

Will it be in the same location (which I suppose is adopting), or will it really be a Sandstorm Secret?

What's the etiquette for re-logging 'replaced' caches? If it's OK, I'm off to do http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bef32386-f5e3-4622-bfbc-81a93d2c675e again as well!

If it's in the same location, and uses the same waypoint number, info page etc. then the cache has been adopted. This requires a Groundspeak admin to change the ownership of the cache.

If it's in the same location, and has a new waypoint number, info page etc. then it's 'sort of' adopted, but is in fact a new cache.

Re-logging is, of course, up to you, but I think it's OK if:

1) The cache keeps the same name, but has moved. You still have to go and find it again!

2) If it's in the same place, but a different page, then you're writing in a new log book, and although it wasn't as hard to find (because you've done it before), I don't think anyone will beat you up for re-logging!

Just my views... although we haven't relogged 'Modern Cavemen' even though it has been moved significantly and we've found it in both locations.

We also have logs on 2 caches we own, because we found them before we adopted them.

Hope this makes some sense!

Cheers,

Stu

We need to rescout the location - but I suspect it will be in a slightly different location - the last one was a real b****r to find - just a lot of fairly random bush beating. Then when I did find it I nearly got bitten by a snake! As it was our first cache we almost gave up before we'd begun! And I will be making a new page - I can't be doing with adoption - I'm probably not a suitable parent!

Sandstorm

- Stephen

quote:
Originally posted by Sandstorm:

We need to rescout the location - but I suspect it will be in a slightly different location - the last one was a real b****r to find

Hmm...a real bother was it? Can't see whats so rude about that, but there you go..

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

The new cache on Godlingston Heath, Dorset is now up and running – there will be a bit of deja-vu for the 15 cachers who found the original cache here and hopefully the location will be enjoyed by many who didn’t have the opportunity before. Enjoy.

- Stephen