Poirot Goes Geocaching

kennamatic

Did anyone see Evil Under The Sun tonight on ITV? In the course of solving the inevitable murder Hercule, Captain Hastings and Inspector Japp went off looking for clues. Armed with a torch Inspector Japp went into a cave, had a look round, and just before leaving decided to look behind a rock. He could just reach what he was after. What was it?

A lunchbox!

On opening it unfortunatley there was no log book or travel bug, just some illicit drugs. I'm pretty sure they aren't really allowed under the guidelines.

If only they'd had a GPS perhaps they would have found it quicker!

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

Yeah, my housemate was watching it as I was reading a book and half-watching Poirot.

As soon as he reached behind that rock and pulled out the tin, I shouted "It's a geocache!".

I notice they tasted some of the heroin but didn't leave anything. Bad people.

Was a nice hiding spot, and didn't seem to have too many passers-by so seemed unlikely to get randomly found icon_smile.gif

Did anyone manage to get the waypoint number?

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

We may not have a waypoint but I can give you the rough lat/long.

I know it was filmed at Burgh Island off the South Devon Coast.

N50:16.824 W003:53.903

I also know that it is extremely expensive to stay at that hotel! It costs £95 per night for children under 12, icon_eek.gif they seem to avoid mentioning the adult rate. (I have no connection to the hotel, otherwise I'd be posting on the Bahamian forum!).

Since the smuggler was arrested at the end, he obviously won't be able to maintain the cache. I think it should be archived.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

G'f tocdobjqowa qbagmx qu igxhbo uhq nza ejfgejro dgwuqc nubo zowfoqc. - Tjlo Otgcum

quote:
Originally posted by Wronskian:

I guess the GPS coverage in the 1930s would be quite poor, though.

Think about the size of the receiver with all those thermionic valves in it. They probably had to leave it on the mainland.

John

The Team... A group of people who, individually, can do nothing but collectively.. decide that nothing can be done. icon_wink.gif

What about the contents? A bit of thread-crossover, but I'm not sure heroin counts as acceptable cache-contents.

Didn't notice a T&J bear either icon_frown.gif

How fab would it have been for Poirot to find a T&J bear! Wow!

--

quote:
Originally posted by Huga:

I notice they tasted some of the heroin but didn't leave anything. Bad people.

Being a pedant icon_smile.gif I always wonder why we need all the expensive laboratories, when, according to films/TV, all you need to do is taste the stuff? And, how do they know what it tastes like? icon_eek.gif

Or, is that one of the 100 things you wouldn't know if it were not for the films/TV?

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

Think about the size of the receiver with all those thermionic valves in it. They probably had to leave it on the mainland.

Forget the reciever, think about the size of the satellites! Thats why the moon was built, and they ran out of money before they built the second one....

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Thats why the moon was built, and they ran out of money before they built the second one....

We can be pretty certain then that there is life on other planets. Jupiter with at least 13 moons probably has a great caching community. And from what I know of Jupiter, very little in the way of tree cover to block the signal! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by kennamatic:

We can be pretty certain then that there is life on other planets. Jupiter with at least 13 moons probably has a great caching community. And from what I know of Jupiter, very little in the way of tree cover to block the signal! icon_smile.gif

Now you are just being silly... Everyone knows you need at least 24 satellites for any kind of decent planetary coverage. Don't be stupid, of course the Jovians don't do Jeocaching. They have far better things to do, like making crop circles here on Earth.

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

Now you are just being silly... Everyone knows you need at least 24 satellites for any kind of decent planetary coverage.

I don't reckon that's true.

You only need 4 scatty-lights to get your positions, and apparently (I can't remember where I read it), most GPSrs only use 4 signals anyway, no matter how many locks you have.

With no tree cover or anything blocking the 180° view of the sky (as already mentioned), you'd therefore only need a maximum of about 6 scattylights in the sky visible at once (so that the best 4 overheadish ones can be used), and I reckon that can be done with <24 scattylights.

I might be wrong however....

--

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

Forget the reciever, think about the size of the satellites! Thats why the moon was built, and they ran out of money before they built the second one....

No, the moon is thr remnants of a giant Evil entity that was destroyed nearly 5,000 years ago by the ancestors of Milla Jojovich and Bruce Willis.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching