Signing the log

2 hours ago, standnonit2 said:

Is signing the log absolutely a requirement? My wife and I like to hunt for caches but are not interested in signing the logs. Are there any rules covering this?

Are you posting "found it" on the cache page?  If you are, you should be prepared to have your online log deleted if your signature does not appear on the physical log in the cache.

I will check the physical against online "found it" claims.  I've deleted any that haven't actually signed the log.

In the olden days, people used to actually write stories in the log books. 

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=107&pgid=534

Found it

You can log caches online as "Found" after you visited the coordinates and signed the logbook. You can also add a photo or a Favorite point to your online log.

Please take time to write at least a few sentences when you log your find — this is how you say “thank you” to the cache owner for creating and placing the geocache.

Pup Patrol

Edited by Pup Patrol
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 3
2 hours ago, standnonit2 said:

Is signing the log absolutely a requirement? My wife and I like to hunt for caches but are not interested in signing the logs. Are there any rules covering this?

12 minutes ago, Pup Patrol said:

You can log caches online as "Found" after you visited the coordinates and signed the logbook.

You say are not interested in signing the logs, but are you interested in logging the caches as Finds, and posting your logs online?  If so, then yes, you need to sign the logsheets/logbooks.  If you are simply interested in the hunt, and finding them for your own satisfaction, and you are not logging them as Found It on the website or in the app, then you don't need to sign the logsheet.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, standnonit2 said:

My wife and I like to hunt for caches but are not interested in signing the logs.

In this case, I suggest hunting down Adventure Lab Caches. They are designed for users who are not interested in signing logbooks, but visiting interesting places.

• Upvote 6
  • Helpful 2

The Help Centre makes it pretty clear:

You can log caches online as "Found" after you visited the coordinates and signed the logbook.

Anyone can post an online log from anywhere in the world. To sign the logbook, you need to have gone to where it is, found the cache and opened it. If you've done those three things, why is taking another ten seconds to add your name to the logbook so much trouble?

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

Really, it's just a game.  Yea, we're not face to face around the table, I get it.

Rules to play the game are in place and you accepted the rules to play or, move on.  Sign the log, or active cache placers will most likely delete the find. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, arisoft said:

In this case, I suggest hunting down Adventure Lab Caches. They are designed for users who are not interested in signing logbooks, but visiting interesting places.

Also Virtuals and Earthcaches. 

I assumed the OP was a new player because of this question.  However, OP has been playing for 9 years, so now I'm guessing that there is a back-story to this question.

Groundspeak will back up cache owners who delete logs because the log book hasn't been signed, no?

If they don't like to sign logbooks, I can't see how they would be interested in doing the required work to properly log an Earthcache.

Pup Patrol

• Upvote 4
19 hours ago, standnonit2 said:

You should have been clued in before starting this hobby in introduction, but now you're familiar with signing the log.  :)

Honestly, I don't get how you can expect others to believe you found it without a signature. Higher terrain/difficulty hiders often check. We did/do.

All these years, kinda surprised you never ran into CO's deleting your log before.  Maybe that's why you're asking now?

• Helpful 2
7 hours ago, Pup Patrol said:

I assumed the OP was a new player because of this question.  However, OP has been playing for 9 years, so now I'm guessing that there is a back-story to this question.

Groundspeak will back up cache owners who delete logs because the log book hasn't been signed, no?

If they don't like to sign logbooks, I can't see how they would be interested in doing the required work to properly log an Earthcache.

Pup Patrol

My daughter usually refuses to touch the contents of most caches. She likes to find them and is really good at the tough ones to spot but that is it. Add spiders or spiders webs, mold, mildew slime nope no thank you. Even as a toddler she used popsicle sticks to finger paint. 

Edited by MNTA
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 2
20 hours ago, Pup Patrol said:

Depends on why they don't like signing.

I usually like Earthcaches because I can learn something. 

I often don't care for signing logs because the containers are often dirty and contents often wet/moldy. Sometimes the contents are completely ruined. Even dry logs are sometimes a nuisance because they're wedged in or hard to get rolled up tight enough to fit back in. I will sign the log whenever practical to do so, but don't fret it when the condition of the log makes that impractical or unpleasant.

As I've said before, I'd be happy to play a geocaching variant that was quality-oriented and entirely virtual yet tied to specific locations. 

12 hours ago, MNTA said:

My daughter usually refuses to touch the contents of most caches. She likes to find them and is really good at the tough ones to spot but that is it. Add spiders or spiders webs, mold, mildew slime nope no thank you. Even as a toddler she used popsicle sticks to finger paint. 

In complete seriousness: that amount of "ick aversion" from a very young age could be a symptom of a sensory processing disorder.