cache location in trim unavailable for placing a cache?

I recently was in trim and was looking for a location to hide a cache, and thought I had found the perfect location. I noted the co-ords and prepared to set the cache up but when I entered the co-ords for the hide, it appeared there was already a cache there (the red circle that usually denotes a cache). this confused me as I had checked that there was no caches in the area on the app while searching for a location for the hide.

I then hoped on project-GC to check if there was a disabled/archived cache there, but there was nothing.

I don't know why it is unavailable, the location Is near the old cathedral of St Peter and Paul (old ruins), are certain locations blocked off from hiding geocaches?

9 minutes ago, Arcane_Artificer said:

I then hoped on project-GC to check if there was a disabled/archived cache there, but there was nothing.

Most probably any Multi, Mystery or Letterbox ends near your location... and those (final points) won't show on the map, of course.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Arcane_Artificer said:

I don't know why it is unavailable, the location Is near the old cathedral of St Peter and Paul (old ruins), are certain locations blocked off from hiding geocaches?

There's a multi GCZKJM that appears to have physical waypoints around the cathedral. You can't place a cache within 161m of the physical waypoints (or final) of another cache.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Helpful 1
23 minutes ago, Arcane_Artificer said:

I recently was in trim and was looking for a location to hide a cache, and thought I had found the perfect location. I noted the co-ords and prepared to set the cache up but when I entered the co-ords for the hide, it appeared there was already a cache there (the red circle that usually denotes a cache). this confused me as I had checked that there was no caches in the area on the app while searching for a location for the hide.

From the geocaching Help Center:

Don’t rely only on the Geocache Planning Map to choose a location. Multi-Caches, Mysteries, Wherigos, and Letterbox Hybrids can have hidden physical waypoints.

1 hour ago, Arcane_Artificer said:

The blocking cache is https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCZKJM

The map displays red circles at every waypoint of this cache. Stage 4 Newtowntrim Cathedral is the culprit.

The owner of this cache has made a mistake by entering physical waypoints for virtual stages. You should consult your local reviewer about this matter because it has to be fixed before you can get your cache published.

• Helpful 3
On 3/18/2024 at 4:39 PM, Arcane_Artificer said:

this confused me as I had checked that there was no caches in the area on the app while searching for a location for the hide.

Disabled caches will show on the website map, though maybe not in the app, at least without changing the default settings. The app is a tool for finding caches, not for placing them.

Archived caches don't affect placement of new listings.