New Geocache Notices Not Opening in APP

luvvinbird

I recently upgraded my smartphone (android) and can't figure out how to have the "new geocache' emails open in the geocaching app. Instead, they open in the website. On my previous phone (also android) they would open in the app. I'm wading through the many adjustments of a new device but I recall there is a setting for this. Thank you.

33 minutes ago, luvvinbird said:

I'm wading through the many adjustments of a new device but I recall there is a setting for this. 

Try to delete and reinstall the app. The first time you try to open a cache from a notification you will have to choose how to open... webpage or app.

Edited by RuideAlmeida

Depending on the Android version choosing an specific app to open links might be impossible.

There are apps, like "better open with" that emulated to be a webbrowser if I remember correct and can be used to choose any app to open a link. 

I do remember that this has been discussed and explained in the past in the forums. 

2 hours ago, luvvinbird said:

I recently upgraded my smartphone (android) and can't figure out how to have the "new geocache' emails open in the geocaching app. Instead, they open in the website. On my previous phone (also android) they would open in the app. I'm wading through the many adjustments of a new device but I recall there is a setting for this. Thank you.

It's different on various phones.  Seems to also change with Droid versions.  I tried it on my Samsung S22 just now, here's what I did:

Go to Settings.

Scroll down to Apps, and tap Apps.

Scroll to Geocaching and tap it.

Tap Set as default.

image.thumb.jpeg.dee12d76a3228bf168bb172b196101a9.jpeg

Deselect Open supported Links.

image.jpeg.e7bf76de7dbe08af8d67d2ff84ab0c72.jpeg

Now the default web browser opens instead of the Geocaching App.

If your phone can't perform these exact steps, poke around for a promising-looking Permission or other setting.  The offending setting is "coord.info" (and "www.coord.info") set as a "supported web address" for the Geocaching App and to open it by default.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
Posted (edited)

Thank you, kunarion. I have an S24 Ultra. I selected "Open supporting links" and "Supported web addresses". I then selected "coord info" and "www.coord info" and BINGO! I would also like to thank Max and 99 for helping, as well.

Edited by luvvinbird
  • Helpful 2