Miles to Feet on Geocaching App

BigOpe

When distances displayed on the geocaching app go above 528 feet it kicks over into 0.1 miles, and that can actually be anything from 529' to 792', after which it kicks over into 0.2 miles, etc.  Is there a setting I haven't found to solve that if I need a more precise distance?

28 minutes ago, BigOpe said:

When distances displayed on the geocaching app go above 528 feet it kicks over into 0.1 miles, and that can actually be anything from 529' to 792', after which it kicks over into 0.2 miles, etc.  Is there a setting I haven't found to solve that if I need a more precise distance?

Go metric?:wacko:

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

It could be argued that, for walk-to-the-geocache purposes, more precision isn't needed.  The app I use does roughly the same thing, and it's never bothered me.

But for times when you really do need that accuracy (puzzles come to mind), there are various tools available to measure distance between two sets of coords, and do it accurately.

Well okay, was just hoping there was a setting in the app when I need down-to-the-foot granularity -- yeah, that's generally for puzzles or multis.  Since 0.1 miles can actually be anything from 529' to 792'' (after which it bumps to 0.2, ad infinitum), that leaves a heckuva lot of potential hiding spots to be checked!  I just solved a multi with a combination of app waypoints, Google, and GoogleEarth.  As for "go metric," yeah man, I'm all about that for the whole universe, but I betcha the app would switch over to 0.1 km at 160.9344m, just like it does for miles. ;>}  Thanks for replies, y'all keep on cachin'!

3 hours ago, BigOpe said:

Well okay, was just hoping there was a setting in the app when I need down-to-the-foot granularity

No, there's no setting in the app - If I need more precision I use my Etrex 30x; it gives distance as .11, .12 miles, etc which I can approximate if I need to.  I like seeing my progress towards GZ in hundredths of miles as well, rather than the tenths - it seems to go faster that way!!

Edited by CAVinoGal
typos
58 minutes ago, BigOpe said:

As for "go metric," yeah man, I'm all about that for the whole universe, but I betcha the app would switch over to 0.1 km at 160.9344m, just like it does for miles. ;>} 

No, it reads metres up to 1000, then switches to 1.1km etc.

• Upvote 1