Glitchy GPS - solutions?

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my Garmin etrex. It keeps switching itself off when it receives the gentlest of knocks. This includes the knocks it gets swinging around while wearing it around my neck on a lariat, as well as the times I forget I'm wearing it and clunk it on a fence. Any suggestions what I can do to remedy this? It's obviously not very useful to have to stop every now and then, turn it back on and wait while it refinds satellite. (Suggestions along the lines of "Its knackered, get a new one" are not what I'm after!)

Thanks.

Jessica.

I dropped my etrex summit and it then suffered from a similar problem to this.

I contacted Garmin who asked me to send it in with a letter explaining the problem and they replaced the unit within 5 working days even though it was not within warrenty.

Give them a call - they are very nice people.

If only life had an undo button....

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Thanks all, have contacted Garmin. They suggested a simple fix of sticking some foam under the battery contact to make it a snugger fit (apparently manufacturers keep changing the size of their batteries!), and to send it to them if that doesn't work. Again, they did not seem worried about it not being under warranty and said it probably wouldn't cost anything/much. Cheers again.

I had exactly the same problem with my Legend. Problem was, I was using it on my Mountain Bike, so the knocks were happenning more often than not, so the dadgum thing kept switching off!!

Apparently, re-chargables are very slightly shorter than Duracell's (and the like) and so accentuated the problem.

I tried going back to Duracells (hang the cost!!) and it was certainly better, but still not 100% sorted.

I then got hold of Garmin, who were very helpful and posted me (F.O.C.) an adapted battery connector plate with foam stuck under one contact and comprehensive instructions (useful as I am a confirmed Luddite).

All is now rosy in the garden.

Slapster

Gretings from The Slapster - Cornwall, UK

Who hopes to live forever - so far, so good!!