How do you hide a geocache in plain sight

Coumpter

I have seen what looked like a wall light on a country hall, that was the cache. Plumbing fixtures. Combination key lock containers attached to a fence with other, real key containers. A letter box lined up with real letterboxes in the countryside. Sometimes it's a matter of find a group of real things and then adding a cache to them that looks the same. Depending where it is, you may need to inform the locals what it is. Also saw one of those horrors, nanos, placed on a wall covered in bolt heads. A nano on a strategic place on a sculpture, very much in full view. Being where it was on the sculpture made it funny. Ones though that aren't horror nanos usually get the better reaction.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
15 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I have seen what looked like a wall light on a country hall, that was the cache. Plumbing fixtures. Combination key lock containers attached to a fence with other, real key containers. A letter box lined up with real letterboxes in the countryside. Sometimes it's a matter of find a group of real things and then adding a cache to them that looks the same. Depending where it is, you may need to inform the locals what it is. Also saw one of those horrors, nanos, placed on a wall covered in bolt heads. A nano on a strategic place on a sculpture, very much in full view. Being where it was on the sculpture made it funny. Ones though that aren't horror nanos usually get the better reaction.

Fake lights, electrical fixtures, plumbing fixtures, sprinklers, security devices such as keyboxes, fake mailboxes, etc. are horrible ideas for geocaches.

Their use normalizes their use, grants permission for, um, less-than-fully-aware cachers to mess around with the real thing and sets bad GC habits.

In some cases it may violate laws; for example, in the US it's a federal offense to put anything in a mailbox that's labeled for mail delivery (and "US MAIL" is stamped on almost all domestically-sold mailboxes by the manufacturer.) Also, if you add a phony mailbox to a string of boxes on a rural rail, you're building the habit that we should look in mailboxes. Do you want someone sticking their hands in yours? 

In other cases, it's damage, These fora are FULL of stories about people who disassemble real lawn sprinklers. Some of those threads are worth searching out and reading.

In other cases, it's potentially deadly.

You do you, but I think it's irresponsible.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 4
4 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Fake lights, electrical fixtures, plumbing fixtures, sprinklers, security devices such as keyboxes, fake mailboxes, etc. are horrible ideas for geocaches.

Their use normalizes their use, grants permission for, um, less-than-fully-aware cachers to mess around with the real thing and sets bad GC habits.

In some cases it may violate laws; for example, in the US it's a federal offense to put anything in a mailbox that's labeled for mail delivery (and "US MAIL" is stamped on almost all domestically-sold mailboxes by the manufacturer.) Also, if you add a phony mailbox to a string of boxes on a rural rail, you're building the habit that we should look in mailboxes. Do you want someone sticking their hands in yours? 

In other cases, it's damage, These fora are FULL of stories about people who disassemble real lawn sprinklers. Some of those threads are worth searching out and reading.

In other cases, it's potentially deadly.

You do you, but I think it's irresponsible.

Continuing my rant, it also brands geocachers as vandals and thieves.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

fake mailboxes

Some of the best letterboxes caches are real letterboxes. All the real letterbox caches I have found in letterboxes have been in places where no real letterbox will be found. Here in Australia people own their own letterboxes, and each letterbox is individual. Not all the same as in the USA. Most letterboxes, although varying, look like letterboxes, but we have unusual ones too, especially in country areas.

https://www.google.com/search?client=avast-a-1&sca_esv=5258783c101fa0af&sca_upv=1&q=australian+letter+boxes+unusual&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwihipHHxKSEAxXCUGwGHQQJAmAQ0pQJegQICBAB&biw=1326&bih=722&dpr=1.25

On 2/11/2024 at 11:24 AM, Goldenwattle said:

Depending where it is, you may need to inform the locals what it is.

I quote myself.

8 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Do you want someone sticking their hands in yours? 

No, but soon we will need to find another use for them. Mine is locked too, which is fairly normal. These days there's hardly any mail, as most things are done by internet. And parcels are left on the doorstep.

Edited by Goldenwattle
On 3/6/2024 at 3:29 AM, CyberTrek23 said:

I have been inspired by birdhouse gadget caches they hide in plain sight yet are super fun and get lots of FP’s (usually)

My experience is that birdhouse caches have a high attrition rate, especially gadget ones. And, I have come across real birdhouses stuffed with junk and bits of paper by cachers not realising they are not caches.

• Upvote 1