Wait For It ... ...

I like them... Just not in my bedroom. They are really hard to get out again when they are panicking, turning rounds and rounds and filling all the walls with tiny pieces of feces.

Tip of the day: You need a large plate to minimize their action radius and direct them towards the open window.

• Helpful 1
On 1/22/2024 at 8:01 PM, pmaupin said:

Thanks for the tip, a few years ago I had this problem, a small bat had come into the kitchen, and it took us several hours to get it out, it was so scared.

Could it be same bat man or woman we had on our summer cottage some years ago? It circled me and I just took video, while all others were screaming together with bat.  :) Fun and terror on same moment.

• Funny 2

Some years ago, a friend went camping with her daughters for the first time, A bat flew into the tent, and they were scratched / bitten. Well, that was an area where rabies was known to be active. So public health staff got in rabies vaccine and opened a clinic for them after hours so that the family could start the post-exposure vaccinations ASAP. 

21 hours ago, Country_Wife said:

Some years ago, a friend went camping with her daughters for the first time, A bat flew into the tent, and they were scratched / bitten. Well, that was an area where rabies was known to be active. So public health staff got in rabies vaccine and opened a clinic for them after hours so that the family could start the post-exposure vaccinations ASAP. 

Yeabut - CW, do you have further (GOOD) news to impart, or do you prefer to let us hang for these "some years"? :blink:

On 1/22/2024 at 9:21 AM, fi67 said:

Just not in my bedroom. They are really hard to get out again when they are panicking

Example ONE

On 1/22/2024 at 10:01 AM, pmaupin said:

a few years ago I had this problem, a small bat had come into the kitchen, and it took us several hours to get it out, it was so scared.

Example TWO

Two examples of those typical Europeans who either don't know about window screens OR neglect to close the door. LOLOLOLOL

On 1/24/2024 at 6:39 AM, Smurffaaja said:

I just took video, while all others were screaming, together with bat.

But then there are the FINNS,  who always manage to keep their cool under any and all circumstances.  BTW, Hi Kai! How gozzit there?

On 1/20/2024 at 4:57 PM, Tuena said:

I had a couple of Pteropus in my backyard feeding on a native fig last night

And the Aussies, ever vigilant with regard to windows and doors, manage to keep the little fellas outdoors.

Anyhoo, Yeah, I, too, await further information and instructions from our esteemed leader here. I suspect that, during the present thawing spell, following an earlier frigid spell, our leader may well have gotten a boot stuck in the mud on his way back to the house, and has yet to make his way to the computer.

The Scrooge

Edited by ScroogieII

OKAY - now I'll tell you my singular Up Close & Personal bat story.

It was a large, two storey, four bedroom, American Foursquare style house on the very rural farm on which I had grown up, in fact The House in which I had (mostly) grown up.

When I was at the tender age of 10 we moved from the farm into town, as my dad had a machinery dealership in the town and my mother had gone back to teaching school, in the same town. They had finally come to the conclusion that it would make sense to live in town, whereafter only my dad would have to commute, not both of them. Problem was that they didn't tell me.

Later, after arriving [home] from a camping trip with a cousin and uncle, we entered The House to find it empty. COMPLETELY empty. NO furniture, no nothing. I will admit that I then experienced a feeling quite unlike I'd ever experienced previously, nor ever thereafter. In later years I heard jokes about kids so completely unloved and unwanted that "They came home to find that their parents had moved". That was me.

In any event, I got over that and life went on, taking me through more years of school AND work on the farm, ultimately plunking me down in my latter teens, a time when we all venture into booze, drugs, sex, or whatever. As best I can ascertain, this was pretty much the norm in small towns all across Canada, and probably throughout North America. With my crowd, or at least one of my crowds, it was booze. At the age of 17 or 18 that particular crowd thought weekends were made solely for boozing. Being underage, our first roadblock was finding booze, which was usually, or often, at least, handled by one or another of the bunch. The second was finding a sufficiently secluded place in which to partake of our newfound boozy riches, thereby avoiding both legal intervention and parental damnation.

Following my family's' taking leave of The House it was intermittently occupied by hired men who worked on the farm, sometimes with family, sometimes without. In any event, during our boozing times it happened to be empty more often than not. Given that we were still working the farm, Dad kept the heat on in the house and the refrigerator and the cupboards somewhat stocked, as we used the house as a lunchroom. SOOOOO, it was inevitable that it should occur to me that it might be a perfect Boozing Spot.

To cut to the chase, as it were, during one of our weekend sessions at The House, after we had all imbibed sufficiently to be feeling invincible, a little bat flew by us in the kitchen. Feeling no inhibitions whatever, though I was aware that rabies had been found in the area, I reached out and grabbed the bat. It immediately bit me so I released my grip. It unfolded its wings and proceeded into the dining room, never to be seen thereafter. Drunk as we were by that time, it never occurred to us that a bite from a bat might lead to further, unpleasant, consequences, or even that we should chase it down.

After all, It was gone, but the beer wasn't.

I lived, and, as far as I know, so did the bat.

The Scrooge

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Funny 3