Adventure Lap – Can I use additional cards?

ducaman

Hello everyone,

Since the Adventure Lap Caches (AL) are becoming more and more widespread, I am now quite happy to solve the AL after initial hesitation.

What bothers me about the (Android) app is the quality of the map. A more precise map is particularly helpful in urban areas.

Can you use other offline maps (e.g. OSM maps) in this app?

See you soon in the forest

Martin (ducaman )

15 minutes ago, ducaman said:

Hello everyone,

Since the Adventure Lap Caches (AL) are becoming more and more widespread, I am now quite happy to solve the AL after initial hesitation.

What bothers me about the (Android) app is the quality of the map. A more precise map is particularly helpful in urban areas.

Can you use other offline maps (e.g. OSM maps) in this app?

See you soon in the forest

Martin (ducaman )

Hello.

I have not experienced that problem, and I have completed many Urban ALs. Are you using the map choice options in settings?

Hello Max and 99.
No, I haven't found a setting yet that allows me to select a different card. However, when browsing through the settings under map settings, I found the option to only view the view via the map, via satellite or as a hybrid. This could possibly help if the map is too inaccurate.
If you can show me a way where I can add other local maps (OSM maps), I would be very grateful.
Best regards Martin (ducaman)

Sorry, that's what I meant: the settings for viewing the map.

Just out of curiosity what kind of accuracy issues are you having and you're sure it has nothing to do with bad coordinates?

I'm sorry I don't know how to use different maps, if that is even an option.

Just to add, Locus has many ways of displaying OSM maps; the example shown by HHL is just one of them.  There's a good variety of online maps, and when you consider offline maps which can be themed - some themes having many checkbox options - the different ways of displaying OSM would number in the hundreds or thousands.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
++clarity;
7 hours ago, HHL said:

Well, actually you can't when doing all your AdLabs in urban areas or entirely by car.

I always use an Api-partner (Locus Map) app to navigate (either by car or by feet) to the LabCaches. Then I open the AdventureLab app from Locus' map to answer the LabCaches' question.

You mean Locus Maps can show you the locations of AL stages?  That would be nice if only Locus Maps didn't have such a horrible UI.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
2 hours ago, HHL said:

That's not correct. Either way: this thread deals with "better maps" in the AdLab app.

Once again, so very sorry for daring to ask a question.   You are now claiming that all api partners have access to al stages.  I know for a fact you are wrong.  Maybe working on reading comprehension would help.

Locus Maps is a very strange mapping program with some geocaching capability pasted in what I experienced to be a poorly documented and unstable add on. I regret that I paid money for it. I believe that it is not a suitable solution to this problem for those not already deeply into the app.  Did you contribute to the extension? Perhaps that could explain you defensiveness. 

• Surprised 3
29 minutes ago, HHL said:

No, I don't. It seems that you're systematically misunderstand my posts.

No I wrote that other api partners do not have access to al stages. I did not say that all others do not.

I understand that English may not be your first language but please do not presume to lecture about misunderstanding. There exist api partners without al stage access. You were wrong.

Is there a list of api partners apps that have al stages? I would be interested in something better than Locus Maps and since you seem to know all about it a list would be quite helpful. 

Edited by fizzymagic

Off topic - sorry! Moderators, please feel free to move out this post to somewhere else.

This thread is strange to read. Is it an acceptable behavior on this forum to delete one's postings shortly after they have been published (and answered by others)? My list of "Ignored Users" is empty, BTW.

• Funny 1

Since it looked like the answer to the OP's question was going to be no (better maps in the AL app), an alternative was proposed, another app.  (The one I use, actually like, and seems to have improved since Fizzy tried it out).

A screenshot of that app was shown with AL stages on-screen, along with caches, in a now-deleted post.  Both would likely have been loaded via GPX files, not directly through the API.  I know the app handles caches well via GPX files.  It's quite likely it'll handle AL GPXs too, assuming there's a way to get your hands on such files.  By "handle", I mean, it'll treat them as waypoints, maybe with a special icon, that you can navigate to, displayed on a high-quality map.  You'd still need the AL app as well to handle the AL "magic".

PS, that alternate app is on the yes-we-can-talk-about-it list.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Since it looked like the answer to the OP's question was going to be no (better maps in the AL app), an alternative was proposed, another app.  (The one I use, actually like, and seems to have improved since Fizzy tried it out).

Thanks for this.  It is very helpful.  I know all about loading gpx files of AL stages but that was not my main interest.

And maybe I should give the app another try.

I find the limitations on map zooming in both the geocaching app and the AL app infuriating.  There is also no reason for the AL app to not show the geofencing, but it doesn't.