Unable to click from cache page to trackables listed

CCFwasG

(based on the length of time this has been a problem) a necessary data set was likely irreversibly deleted/DROP TABLE'd/corrupted which would be a difficult, if not impossible fix, and now they can't get the geocodes for the caches back?

Just my guess, feel free to disagree

Edited by lazyuncle
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, lazyuncle said:

Just my guess, feel free to disagree

OK I'll bite.

The site knows which cache the activity occured on as it's named in the log for the trackable, so something somewhere has the reference from the TB<->action<->Cache so I struggle to see how it could be difficult to make the cache name link point to the right page.

image.png.67c110c550c232862d44cf3bf8a1b71d.png

There are ways to irreversibly delete a data set in all common query structures, so much so that trying to query/write to that set gives an error and the data is irrecoverable or near such. This can be done without affecting the rest of the related data, so someone may have deleted the data set for GC codes but not the set for Cache Name.

14 hours ago, lazyuncle said:

There are ways to irreversibly delete a data set in all common query structures, so much so that trying to query/write to that set gives an error and the data is irrecoverable or near such. This can be done without affecting the rest of the related data, so someone may have deleted the data set for GC codes but not the set for Cache Name.

But the links are only failing on this one page AFAIK, so the data set for "all common query structures" is clearly still in place otherwise pretty much every search/bookmark/PQ/etc. would be broken.

It would be bizarre coding if each page/query  was using its own table for looking up GC codes rather than there being a single sourcewhich everything uses. I suppose it's possible that this page uses it's own table for cache code lookups and it has somehow become lost/corrupted, however if that's the case then it should be relatively simple to recreate the table/view/whatever  based on one of the other sources which must be in use elsewhere on the site; if all else fails that's why we (should) do backups...

FWIW looking at the log for the TB retrieval I posted earlier shows the cache name and it links to the correct page as shown here when hovering over the link:-

image.png.cbe061bcef452c8666b9fc89a0f7b6ca.png

Though it is interesting to note that the working link points to a coord.info/GCCODE address whereas the broken link points at a www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCCODE_GCNAME address I wonder why the difference and if that might be related to why it's not working?

I also had a look on the Staging site which seems to be populated with data from around the end of Jan and that is exhibiting exactly the same issue so the devs/testers have a ready made place to test any fix...

2 hours ago, sbied said:

I'm still getting the /GC0 bug!  Do I need to update something or do something to get this fix, or is your fix not a fix?

Can you provide an example of the steps you take that cause the error?  There were previously a couple of different but similar errors which now seem to me to be fixed.  I tried a few links in Brave, Chrome and Edge.

Edited by kunarion
On 2/21/2024 at 3:10 PM, worrellsquirrel said:

This issue is now fixed. Thank you to all for your patience.

Saw that this was fixed and wanted to return to this forum to express my appreciate to the higher powers for doing so. Thx!

• Helpful 2
On 2/21/2024 at 12:10 PM, worrellsquirrel said:

This issue is now fixed. Thank you to all for your patience.

It does, indeed, seem to be fixed - THANK YOU!  I was doing some trackable catch up work today, and I thought I saw the error, the GC0 link, come up, but I can't seem to recreate what I did to make that happen.  That's a good thing, though - it means my normal "workflow" is working again!  If I do see it, I will report back what I did to make it appear again.

35 minutes ago, Katzdackel said:

The problem still exists for me. At least in the old dashboard (the new one is unusable for me)

old dashboard.jpg

I still see the same thing as you do, specifically for "Your Logs (Last 30 Days)" Trackables.

Hello

In the normal view of a trackable the correct link to the GC Code is shown

image.png.277e3a417222a3b0bf18af309c425711.png

But when "View Map" in the trackable is selected, there is still the wrong link to GC0 which leads to an error

image.png.fa401e7887e866c572bb9f88d26ca812.png

Best regards

Sorglos02