The new toy

I just did a phone upgrade and took possession of the SPV which is powered by windows.

It gives me full html web browsing as opposed to wap and a quick try out shows me that I can get geocache pages up on the phone.

The good thing is that being gprs, I only pay for the page download and once it is there I can view it at leisure. Great for the times when I am out and about in a strange area and fancy a bit of caching.

Also it has a camera and I could upload images to the web out in the field.

I believe that it also can be used to make phone calls!!

There is also a virtual printer program available so that web pages, word docs, excel spreadsheets, pdf docs etc can be downloaded for the phone, keeping the original text/feel/colours.

The applications as a geocache field tool are just mindblowing.

anyone else use one?

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

I just did a phone upgrade and took possession of the SPV which is powered by windows.

<snip>

Hi Chris.

Go on then - tell me what an 'SPV' is! icon_confused.gif

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

quote:

Well it's a phone ish!!

Full specs are http://www.mobiles.co.uk/cgi/refer.cgi?refer=overture12&page=orange-spv-microsoft-smartphone.html

<snip>

Well I'll be. That's the company I've been getting my phone stuff from for ages! My problem is I'm on the T-Mobile network - I'll have to see whether Orange still do their 'T-Mobile' equivalents. Seems like a nice piece of kit though.

PS. Are you back from the USA now Chris?

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

quote:

Ah, that's probably the one I read a review of last week. Well, not so much a review, as a regular columnist's rants.

He was NOT impressed at all with the phone: the hardware was nice, but it's software was very flakey, he seemed to suffer some fundamental lockups (not over-surprising given it's running windows, let's be honest!) which needed him to remove batteries etc to make it work again.

How have you found yours so far?

paul

My wife uses a cache box to take her sandwiches to work... how odd!

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

Ah, that's probably the one I read a review of last week. Well, not so much a review, as a regular columnist's rants.

He was NOT impressed at all with the phone: the hardware was nice, but it's software was very flakey, he seemed to suffer some fundamental lockups (not over-surprising given it's running windows, let's be honest!) which needed him to remove batteries etc to make it work again.

How have you found yours so far?

paul

I have only had the phone since returning from the States, but so far no problems.

I think the key is to think of it as a phone that does other things rather than a PDA that makes phone calls.

If you wanted something to do that, then spend £500 on an ipaq.

If you want a phone with full web browsing and some pda type functionality then this one is great.

There is also talk on one of the newsgroups of map software to come.

And in answer to the Motley Crew, I got back Tuesday evening and straight to work! icon_redface.gif

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

I am definately getting old! I only want a phone to make calls to people - preferably as cheaply as possible!

Don't get me wrong, the Sue & I have 3 mobiles between us and find them invaluable. The main one is Orange Everyday 50 - this plan gives you 50 mins off peak every day for 50p per day. It has replaced the landline for regular calls and therefore pays for itself. It is obviously too good, you cannot get it any more. The other mobiles are plain Orange PAYG and are used to receive calls from the main mobile and emergencies.

Ever since mobile phones arrived, the telecos have been pulling the old 3 cup trick, making the punters concentrate on which complicated plan to choose rather than focussing on the cost. Rather: "Don't worry about the size of the pie, just look at how many ways there are to slice it".

My children are both willing "victims" of these marketing strategies - the youngsters each regularly have monthly bills that dwarf the combined quarterly teleco bills for the Sue & Bernie homestead. Goodness knows where their bills will spiral to when they start to incorporate these additional "must-have" services.

Sue & Bernie

[This message was edited by Sue & Bernie on May 04, 2003 at 12:10 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Motley Crew:

Go on then - tell me what an 'SPV' is! icon_confused.gif

In my day a SPV was a Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle. The driver sat facing backwards and saw where he was going by CCTV. I thinkl Lieutenant Blue was the main driver, leaving Captain Scarlet to catch the mysterons

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Merman, that looks a nice bit of kit - pity these weren't around when I upgraded to my boring old nokia. I'll have to wait till chrimbo for one of those. Mind you, the wife really deserves a new phone...

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

quote:
Originally posted by Team Galaxy:

Jeez, I know I've not been on in a while but where the hell did all my posts go?

_Everyone is entitled to my opinion..._

Most people's post counts went back to about 50 when the new forums got implemented so people like me who havn't been posting much recently look like they're complete newbies!

Mike

Stoners live and stoners die

but in the end we all get high

So if in life you don't succeed

then &*#% the world and smoke some weed

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif