How do I get text messages when a cache gets published?

retired13

There is no option for geocaching.com to send you a text message. Notifications are done via email - click the link for more info.

Some cell phone providers will give you an email address that will come through on your phone as an SMS, though the formatting usually leaves something to be desired. I did a quick forum search and couldn't easily find the thread, but I know it's been discussed here in the past.

2 hours ago, lee737 said:

I set up a new email account that is pushed through to my phone. In my main email new cache reports are diverted to that account... So I get a text-like notification on publication of new caches.

I did set up another email account (yahoo) but on my Android phone, I couldn't find how to specifically have just that yahoo account be notified. I'll keep trying. Thanks!

3 hours ago, geoawareUSA9 said:

There is no option for geocaching.com to send you a text message. Notifications are done via email - click the link for more info.

Some cell phone providers will give you an email address that will come through on your phone as an SMS, though the formatting usually leaves something to be desired. I did a quick forum search and couldn't easily find the thread, but I know it's been discussed here in the past.

Thank you! I tried to do a search for this topic but came up empty. You have all confirmed that I've set up notifications correctly. I'll keep working on my email account.

The most reliable instant-notification-on-email app I've found, really, is gmail. Set up a gmail account for gc notifications, then turn on push notifications in the mobile app.

Other email providers may ping but I've found gmail to be the most instantaneous option.  Depending on how fast you really need those notifications ;)

You can also have gmail forward those emails to another primary personal inbox if you wish.

I actually set up a forwarding account on my domain for this geocaching account which copies emails to a gmail account for notifications, and to my personal inbox for my record.

• Upvote 1