[Bug] New logging workflow: Cannot edit my own "Reviewer Note"

baer2006

Hi,

when preparing a new cache listing, I also write a Reviewer Note, which will in the end, before I submit the listing, include any information about the cache, which I think is helpful for the reviewer. E.g., details about the cache hide, a detailed description of the solution of puzzle caches, etc. This Reviewer Note is an evolving thing, which I update every time I think there is a new aspect worth mentioning. I also want to correct the occasional type every now and then ;) .

Unfortunately, with the "new logging"; I cannot edit my Reviewer Note! When I go to "View / Edit Log" -> "Edit Log", everything is greyed out, like this:

2023-11-12_01h55_32.png.54e0274bd909b05f4d28f3045b082dbb.png

Please re-enable the functionality to edit the pre-publish Reviewer Notes!

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

This may or may not be by design - I honestly can't remember.  But, if intentional, it's helpful from a Reviewer perspective.  Prior to publication, I will ask questions and request the cache owner to post a new Reviewer Note.  A surprising number of cache owners (especially new hiders) will miss that instruction, and simply edit their prior Reviewer Note to answer my question.  Since there was no new log to trigger a watchlist notification, I have no idea that they've answered my questions, and the review process is delayed.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, baer2006 said:

Please re-enable the functionality to edit the pre-publish Reviewer Notes!

I also like to gradually build up a reviewer note as the cache design progresses, particularly on more complex caches like field puzzle multis. My typical workflow is to find a general location that suggests a theme, start fleshing out the cache page and purchase what I'll need for the physical elements. Some stuff I can put in the reviewer note early on, but the final photos of the cache container in its hiding spot, and any accompanying notes, have to wait until I go back to set everything up. Sometimes, when placing the cache and paying closer attention to the coordinates I'm reading, I'll need to change those slightly and, for a puzzle cache, that means a tweak to the puzzle and an edit to the solution I detailed in the reviewer note. Not all caches are just a bison tube hanging in a shrub or an MKH in a guardrail.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Keystone said:

This may or may not be by design - I honestly can't remember.  But, if intentional, it's helpful from a Reviewer perspective.  Prior to publication, I will ask questions and request the cache owner to post a new Reviewer Note.  A surprising number of cache owners (especially new hiders) will miss that instruction, and simply edit their prior Reviewer Note to answer my question.  Since there was no new log to trigger a watchlist notification, I have no idea that they've answered my questions, and the review process is delayed.

That's a reason to disallow editing a Reviewer Note after submitting the cache.  But surely the CO should be able to edit it before then.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3

It gets even weirder ...

I deleted my "Test" reviewer note from yesterday, which I had posted to illustrate my point. Then I copied my "real" draft Rev Note to create a new, amended one, in my listing. That worked. Then I wanted to delete the older, incomplete and now obsolete Rev Note - but I cannot delete it! The "Delete" button is missing on that one. The "Delete" button existed on the "Test! note, and it also exists on the new one I just posted. Sorry, but ... WTF?!?

Now I have an old, incomplete and potentially misleading Rev Note in my listing, which I cannot delete. So to make sure, that the Reviewer doesn't think I'm totally confused, I have to post yet another Rev Note before submitting, telling the Reviewer that they should please ignore any Rev Notes before a certain date. Please don't tell me that this is the intended workflow.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

I have edited my reviewer notes many times mostly for fixing errors and adding detailed information. I understand that sometimes players may abuse the note as explained. No problems, if I can replace the wrong note with a new one. But if there are problems both with editing and deleting notes, it is not good to anyone.

• Helpful 1
8 hours ago, baer2006 said:

The "Delete" button is missing on that one. The "Delete" button existed on the "Test! note, and it also exists on the new one I just posted.

This strange behavior of the the Delete functionality must be a bug. The listing, on which I'm working, has three Reviewer Notes:

- One form 6 Dec 2022, with only the text "Work in progress" - can be deleted

- One from 22 Oct 2023, with the first draft of the actual notes for the reviewer - can not be deleted

- One from 12 Nov 2023, with the updated draft of the actual notes - can be deleted

I cannot think of any intentional UX design, where the oldest and newest Rev Notes can be deleted, but a random one in the middle cannot.

• Upvote 2

I agree with the other posters - for more complex caches I generally build the Reviewer note alongside the cache page and the cache container, with refinements to one triggering changes in the others as I go.

It's very frustrating that I now can't edit the in-progress Reviewer note, and my only workaround is to copy all the text, delete the old note, paste the text into a new note and continue. I then also have to reupload any supporting images which get lost in the process.

Please fix :)

Thanks

• Helpful 1