Question about Event Owner announcements

A question about when an event owner makes an announcement:

I saw an event in my area that looked interesting, but it was at an inconvenient time for me.  I put my chances of attending at about 30%, so rather than log a "Will Attend", I logged a "Write Note", as my chance of "Will Not attend" was greater.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the EO had to change the time of the event, and did so in an "Announcement" log.  For the life of me, I cannot find the email that normally comes when an EO makes an announcement.  Does that only get sent to people who logged "WA" logs, rather than everyone who logged anything?  Or did I accidentally delete an email?

In the end, I showed up expecting an event, only to find out by checking the event page (wondering why nobody else was there) what had happened.  Lesson learned: always check event page before planning to leave for an event; don't expect to receive announcements.

24 minutes ago, rosebud55112 said:

I saw an event in my area that looked interesting, but it was at an inconvenient time for me.  I put my chances of attending at about 30%, so rather than log a "Will Attend", I logged a "Write Note", as my chance of "Will Not attend" was greater.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the EO had to change the time of the event, and did so in an "Announcement" log.  For the life of me, I cannot find the email that normally comes when an EO makes an announcement.  Does that only get sent to people who logged "WA" logs, rather than everyone who logged anything?  Or did I accidentally delete an email?

In the end, I showed up expecting an event, only to find out by checking the event page (wondering why nobody else was there) what had happened.  Lesson learned: always check event page before planning to leave for an event; don't expect to receive announcements.

That's a good question!

When I read the help center article about event caches, I think it kind of sort of implies that since attendees will get notified of changes,  anybody who wrote a will attend log will get the notification. 

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=23&pgid=85

5 hours ago, rosebud55112 said:

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the EO had to change the time of the event, and did so in an "Announcement" log.  For the life of me, I cannot find the email that normally comes when an EO makes an announcement.  Does that only get sent to people who logged "WA" logs, rather than everyone who logged anything?  Or did I accidentally delete an email?.

Announcements go to those who logged a Will Attend and also those who have the event on their watchlist.  It's okay to log a Will Attend with a comment saying that you're only 30% sure you'll be able to attend, at least it gives the EO an idea who is thinking about attending.

Edited by GeoElmo6000
Bad English
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
6 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Announcements go to those who logged a Will Attend and also those who have the event on their watchlist.

Good advice - just put the event on your watchlist after your "Write Note" log - and you'll get any notifications/announcements.  You'll also get everyone else's Will Attend logs, but you won't miss date/time/location changes.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, rosebud55112 said:

- snip -

We put events we're not sure about on our watch list, but like GeoElmo6000, if we might go we say we might attend. Head count helps the EO...

The watch list helps us know if friends I'm holding onto something for is going, how many kids so we can pass out toys to keep 'em busy, and even tells us if someone we bumped heads with recently is gonna be there, and whether the other 2/3rds is ready for that yet.    :)

27 minutes ago, rosebud55112 said:

I don't understand why GS feels that people who were interested enough  to write a note would specifically not want to learn anything the EO has to announce, but I guess that's their default position.

A lot of times when people post a note it's as an apology for not being able to attend.

• Upvote 3
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

There's a guy near me who holds a lot of events. I don't go because they're JUST outside the range I want to travel.

I get his event notifications because they're within my 'new cache' notification range, but I ALSO get his logs about "It's gonna rain tomorrow" and "Don't forget to bring your waders", etc.

I don't log anything on his events, but I still get his updates.

Interesting. I just looked at one of his event caches, and apparently there's an 'ANNOUNCEMENT' log type available for Event Owners that goes out to people who have notifications about events set up. You have to select that log type in your Notification setup. If you haven't do so.

Never hosted an event, so I never noticed that.

So to long-windedly answer the OP's original question, I suspect that if you got the initial notification about the publishing of the event, then you should have gotten the Announcement as well, regardless of whether or not you files a log on the event cache, IF you asked for them.

• Surprised 1