gps location on Ordnance Survey map

You need to set the datum and the co-ordinates of your GPS unit according to the map you're working with. I've never used an etrex so I can't tell you where to go in your menus or whatever, but for OS maps you need to set the Datum to OSGB 36 (Ordnance Survey Great Britain 1936) and the co-ordinates to British Grid.

Bill

we have the yellow e-trex and had exactly the same problem, when we started.

You can keep changing it, but we kept forgetting and leaving it on the wrong setting. this can be very annoying.

I recomend you use something like "Waypoint Workbench" a free spreadsheet by Chris and Maria.

there is a link to their site at the bottom of all their posts.

Tech-no notice

quote:
I have bought a Garmin etrex and want to use it to give accurate Grid References using the British National Grid as used on Ordnance Survey maps. So far the results are very dissapointing, with the gps giving me a reference half a mile or more adrift.

There is approx 100m difference between the datums for WGS84 (as used by GPS satellites & geocaching) and OS maps.

As others have said, you need deg/min readout on a WGS 84 datum for geocaching, and British Grid with OSGB datum to use maps.

Ozi Explorer (PC mapping / GPS software) is very good as it supports use of 2 setups at once (ie WGS84/OSGB) so I can calibrate maps to British grid (using the inherent grid on the map), then do everything else in WGS84.

Paul

Team Blitz

White gravel? What white gravel? I can't see any.... heck, who cares!

quote:
As others have said, you need deg/min readout on a WGS 84 datum for geocaching, and British Grid with OSGB datum to use maps.

I'm using GRB36 and OSGB as main datum. I thought that I'd be able to get faily close using an OS map grid and then still using the OSGB datum on my GPS, find the Cache. Is this not the case?

Can you point me to other treads on this?

quote:
Ozi Explorer (PC mapping / GPS software) is very good as it supports use of 2 setups at once (ie WGS84/OSGB) so I can calibrate maps to British grid (using the inherent grid on the map), then do everything else in WGS84.

How does this work in practice?

thanks,

Simon

quote:
Originally posted by 4x4xFinch:

I'm using GRB36 and OSGB as main datum. I thought that I'd be able to get faily close using an OS map grid and then still using the OSGB datum on my GPS, find the Cache. Is this not the case?

The waypoint has its position posted in degrees and minutes in WGS84 and as a British grid ref which is always in OSGB36.

If you type the lat/long into your GPS to make a waypoint, make sure you are in WGS84 mode when you type it in.

If you type in the British grid ref, make sure you are in OSGB36 mode when you type it in.

Once you have the waypoint in the GPS you can change datum and the coordinates will be changed automatically to always refer to the same spot on the ground.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

I've been using a very bog standard road atlas, a calculator and a milimetre scale with my eTrex venture, to produce GPS waypoints accurate to about 200 yards. good enough for motorist navigation, and I was very pleased in that I did not need OS Maps or even access to the internet.

quote:
Originally posted by 101325:

I've been using a very bog standard road atlas, a calculator and a milimetre scale with my eTrex venture...

That sounds almost painful.

I have used GPSU (other programmes are available) to scan maps and calibrate with a couple of known points then plot waypoints by mouse click. Some programmes will accept Autoroute "pins" as well.

I also have a Venture, but I'm not sure that mapsource is a good buy for this unit.

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.