Website message center not working - can't create new chat w/ user

Bl4ckH4wkGER

Related to 

To repro:

• Open message center
  • Start chat with a new user you've not talked to before (existing ones work fine)
  • Type in user name - works
  • Try to type in a message test

Result

• It glitches you back to the user name input
  • you can't send a message

Expect:

• you can type in and send a message

Related - the automated "Message the owner" at the top of the cache page also doesn't work.

Device:

• Mac 13.4.1 (22F82)
  • Latest Chrome

Edited by Bl4ckH4wkGER

I did some more testing and it appears that it's only an issue when the user you've never messaged before has special characters in their user name. If they messaged you before or there's an otherwise standing conversation, it works.

To repro:

• Click into message center
  • Compose a new message
  • Type in "ohjoy!"
  • Now click into the message field and try to start typing

Result:

• After the first character your message disappears and you're automatically brought back to the user name input field

Expect:

• You can type a message, regardless of what characters are in the users username.

Similarly, if you click on the "message owner" link at the top of one of their caches, e.g. https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6GF55_the-things-glaciers-leave-behind , the user name isn't pre-populated as it should.

Edited by Bl4ckH4wkGER
  • Helpful 1
35 minutes ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

Similarly, if you click on the "message owner" link at the top of one of their caches, e.g. https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6GF55_the-things-glaciers-leave-behind , the user name isn't pre-populated as it should.

Actually, it does work for me (location: EU, browser: firefox). IE: the user name "ohjoy!" (without quotes) does open the MessageCenter as expected and creates a ready to fill message form. This was done on both places: the profile page and the cache page (this forum is dealing with website bugs). I also did a test starting a message from the Geocaching App. the MessageCenter does also work there as expected. :D

What experiences have you had with geocachers: slowly! and Bookwoman! of which you found caches at the beginning of the year?

Hans

Edited by HHL
8 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

Seems it's just me for a single account so chances are this won't be fixed.

Googling for “ohjoy!” delivers a lot of suspicious websites. Maybe a browser setting or extension is blocking this specific profile?

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

I had trouble messaging someone today both on Android official app and Chrome on my browser. Same person. They do not have any special characters in their name but I hadn't messaged them in a while so I had to type in their name and select it. Whenever I tried to type a message to them it would go back to the name.