Never give up on your missing trackables!

Sottiwotti

A few weeks ago, I found a trackable that has been missing since 2009! (not present in the cache it should be since 2009, finally marked missing in 2012) The TB went missing in a cache in the Netherlands, and now I found it in a cache in my town in Belgium, but it was not logged into the cache. I grabbed it and placed it in the cache.

Always great to see a missing trackable reappear! Never give up on your trackable, it might reappear someday!
This is also the first trackable I have come across, so it feels extra special to me.

tb.jpg

• Helpful 3
  • Love 6

We are fairly new to this and got excited by trackables early on and bought a few to place. It was so disappointing to see how fast they disappear! One I had high hopes for as it was placed in a tourist location that a lot of experienced cachers visit -- nope, gone within a week or two. But one gave me hope. We never actually placed it but it fell out of our bag while caching. We were in one small town that day and knew it likely happened at one particular cache. I added a note to the cache log saying to be on the lookout for it. No responses. MONTHS later, it pops up as found at another cache we visited that same day! The finder just found it laying on the ground as they were signing their log (likely on the same bench we used) and picked it up to continue its journey. Its now well on its way to achieving its goal with its second grabber. I am hoping it sticks around. Never give up! I am still hoping my first one pops up somewhere.

• Love 2

Yes, never give up on them.

I too have found several missing TBs, invariably not logged into a cache. No one wants to let others know they had it all those years. I found one in NZ that had gone missing in the Netherlands ten years before. I have found several missing for several years. The longest missing one I think went missing in 2003 in Canada. I found it in Australia.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1

Was looking at a post like this.

A coin of mine went missing in 2010, I eventually marked it as missing in 2016. Then 2024 it apparently show up at an event in America, several logged a discovered. At first sceptical but one person grabbed and posted a picture, after a few messages they posted it back to me. Finally after about 20 days and Royal Mail charging  me £15 for a little VAT but most a handling charge, its back in my possession. They also very kindly included a personalised coin they had made up.

So as you say never give up on a missing trackable.

• Surprised 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sottiwotti said:

Unfortunately, some cachers take trackables or coins to show them on events for people to discover

That's what has happened to some in my TB hotel. They get picked up for events. One I had a watch on recently turned up at a MEGA, but it had been missing for  months, never logged.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Sottiwotti said:

Great story! Is your coin still in good condition? 

Unfortunately, some cachers take trackables or coins to show them on events for people to discover

Thankfully mine is still in great condition, can see its travelled but still good.

• Love 1