Suggestion: ability for unactivated coins to display as present in caches

GeoBushman

1 hour ago, GeoBushman said:

Sometimes I like to drop unactivated coins and trackables in caches. It would be nice for these to be able to show up in a cache if I wanted to "drop" them in. 

Who would clear those gifts from the cache inventory after they are picked up? I can't wrap my head around how this would work. 

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Who would clear those gifts from the cache inventory after they are picked up? I can't wrap my head around how this would work. 

In my mind, they would be able to be able to be grabbed from the cache and placed into your inventory, only they wouldn't need to be activated to be placed there. So they would still show up on the search results, but the code would still be needed in order to grab them. 

• Funny 1
20 minutes ago, GeoBushman said:

In my mind, they would be able to be able to be grabbed from the cache and placed into your inventory, only they wouldn't need to be activated to be placed there. So they would still show up on the search results, but the code would still be needed in order to grab them. 

Ummm, I don't think so. I could be wrong, but I think 'unactivated' means exactly that. Can't be interacted with by cachers until it's 'activated', so a finder would have to know how to activate it, THEN grab it from the cache online. Few would, so they'd end up as couch-cushion fodder. In the meantime, someone would go looking for them because they're listed as being in the cache, and want to report them as missing, but to whom? Not activated = no owner.

True Kaos.

Nice idea, but missed it by THAT much.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

True Kaos.

Nice idea, but missed it by THAT much.

Gave this post a thumbs up as helpful, but really enjoyed the ending statements....I loved watching Get Smart when I was a kid!!

And I agree, unactivated coins being listed in a cache would no t be manageable - just like placing caches - for it to be listed, loggable, there has to be an owner.  And for a coin/trackable to have an owner it needs to be activated.

5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I can't wrap my head around how this would work. 

^^^THIS!

Edited by CAVinoGal
11 hours ago, GeoBushman said:

Sometimes I like to drop unactivated coins and trackables in caches. It would be nice for these to be able to show up in a cache if I wanted to "drop" them in. 

9 hours ago, GeoBushman said:

We leave unactivated geocoins as swag often.  The cache simply needs to be a decent walk and container.  :)

We mention on the coin's cover and the Found It log  that we left an unactivated coin meant as swag....

We already have issues with people and the irresistible urge to be "clicking" things, 'collection' and 'collectible' particularly annoying.

Either you mean the trackable to be swag, or you don't. We see an easy half of trackables found incorrectly logged.

We still see long-time players trading trackables for swag.  Please don't confuse people any further.  Thanks.

Edited by cerberus1
  • Helpful 2