Training Class help

Rock_Jock

I am holding an Into to Nature Geocaching program in a nearby small park. The park has tree ID signs which I have marked the coordinates on my Garmin GPS. I expect many people coming to the training will just be bringing their cell phone with a downloaded geocaching app. I tried to load my 12 locations into my Geocaching profile in order to use the official Geocaching app.  Upon review, my uploads were not accepted because they are not true"geocaches" and are also located within the minimum "0.5mile distance from another cache"rule. The reviewer was very prompt with comments and denial . but did not really offer a good solution. I thought about the Earthcache option, but that requires a "learning" objective and small nature description for each cache. 

So it looks like I cannot use the Geocaching app for my training. Does anyone have a recommendation for a solution to my training issue, such as another geocaching app that would work on both Android and iPhone cell phones and not need to comply with the Geocaching cache rules.

The class is in 10 days!

I look forward to your replies. Thank you.

Neil

Willow Fork Park

Katy, Tx

• Funny 2

See this recent discussion a bit further down the page.

Your Earthcache idea would not work because (1) tree ID signs do not teach a geology lesson, and (2) Earthcaches must be available for everyone to find for an extended time frame, not just for a short term park program.

From the other thread, some of the viable ideas were to use Google Maps or to upload your waypoints to an existing geocache as user-created Additional Waypoints.  In either case, the participants would be spending a lot of time doing data entry (and making mistakes in doing so, if inputting coordinates is unfamiliar territory for them).  You could email or text a list of the coordinate locations to the participants, so that they'd be copy-pasting them instead of typing them.

• Helpful 1
5 hours ago, Rock_Jock said:

I expect many people coming to the training will just be bringing their cell phone with a downloaded geocaching app. I tried to load my 12 locations into my Geocaching profile in order to use the official Geocaching app.

Are the students all Geocachers who have The App all set up?  If so, Keystone's "Add Waypoints" is suitable for "training" people how to use that App.  Otherwise, you and the students have more work ahead.  They could all load a different Geocaching App, or find a "GPS App" that has IOS and Android versions (such as Spyglass), and enter coordinates to the next waypoint as they find the previous one.

I've been to several "Geocaching 101" training Events, and most don't include hunting a cache nor any particular "Apps".  If you're pointing out cool trees, for example, you can go walk to them, while explaining the various ways to be guided to a Geocache.  You may show the GPS display, pass around the Garmin as you go.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1

Some students will have experience with geocaching, some will not. In addition to talking about how GPS units work and the activity of "geocaching" ,  I really want them to experience how to find a cache (straight line is not always the shortest time or the safest!)  and learn about the different trees in the park. I do not want them to have to "fat finger" in the coordinates.  If it comes down to it, I may look for a set of GPS units, upload the coordinates in myself and send them out in pairs to find 4-6 caches. That should give the experience of looking for and finding caches. I am trying to avoid this option unless it is the last choice. After the program, on their own, they can then go and download the "Geocaching" app and find proper caches. The whole session is planned for only 1 hour.

So I am really looking for an app that I can upload my coordinates, that also has a "find" functionality using a compass dial and distance to cache display. The Geocaching app is perfect, I just am unable to get my  "caches" approved to be a valid searchable cache.

Thanks for all your ideas.

You are trying to use the Geocaching app for a purpose other than its original intent.  You need to find some sort of "geolocation" app that has nothing to do with caching.  The Geocaching.com forum is probably not the best place to come for information on other uses of coordinates.  The Geocaching app (although it may seem to be useable) is not "perfect" for this use, because you are not creating caches in any sense of the word.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 8/24/2023 at 1:05 PM, kunarion said:

I've been to several "Geocaching 101" training Events, and most don't include hunting a cache nor any particular "Apps".

The intro to geocaching classes that I've helped with have not used smartphone apps at all. Either the instructor has taken the students to a location where a number of containers have been hidden ("Raise your hand when you spot a hidden container"), or the instructor has given each group of students a preprogrammed handheld GPS unit and sent them out to find actual caches with an experienced geocacher as a guide/advisor.

• Helpful 1