Monopteros

Lately I took photos of a beautiful monopteros (see photo below), but there seems to be no category for them.

.image.thumb.jpeg.eb3558f78d939b1075d53419a807f53b.jpeg

In the Gazebos category I just found one WM from 2018 with a Monopteros and the category description says "octagonal or hexagonal". So, the question is: Will they also accept a Monopteros or do we need/want a separate category for them?

• Upvote 1

Had to look up Monopteros in Wiki!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopteros

Another source:

The terms monopteros, monopteral and monopteron are used to describe a building with a single row of columns (or pteron) on all sides. The building is typically circular and lacks walls, so the colonnade supports the roof.

During ancient Greek and Roman times, monopteros frequently served as temples (referred to as monopteron temples) without inner chambers or cella.

This style of building later appeared in baroque and neoclassical architecture, sometimes featured in European gardens in the form of follies, eyecatchers, pavilions or gazebos.

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Monopteros

Worth Waymarking, one way or another!

Edited by Bear and Ragged
edit to add
  • Helpful 1

I think they should be included in the Gazebos category.

Are there enough of them to justify a category on its own? And they are so similar, it would just confuse the users.

And after all, they are "octagonal or hexagonal" when you look at the shape of the main part. The non-existing "walls" between the pillars form an octagon or hexagon. Only the roof and the base are round, but that is a minor detail in my eyes.

6 minutes ago, fi67 said:

Are there enough of them to justify a category on its own? And they are so similar, it would just confuse the users.

And after all, they are "octagonal or hexagonal" when you look at the shape of the main part. The non-existing "walls" between the pillars form an octagon or hexagon. Only the roof and the base are round, but that is a minor detail in my eyes.

As an officer in Gazebos, I'd approve of these there. No need for a new category. Also, maybe in Frieze Art?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
13 hours ago, fi67 said:

I also thought that they would fit in the Gazebos category, but IF they were accepted there, I would have expected to find more of them in the category. But in the meantime I found other round Gazebos that didn't have the word "monopteros" in the description, which is why I found just one in the first search. 

Anyway, thanks to the officers for accepting them. I'm perfectly fine with the Gazebos category.

OMIGAWD, Andreas, you continue to manage to (vainly attempt to?) expand my vocabulary! :D

On the whole, Monopteros almost, but not quite, manages to retain my vocabulary in stasis, with recently forgotten words being replaced by new "Andreas" words. :lol:

Though I thought I'd seen North American versions of "Monopteros", I, too, had to resort to a handy-dandy dictionary here.

Here, a quite similar structure is often seen, but with straight sides, as in hexagons, octagons or polygons, these mostly being old wooden, turn of the twentieth century, bandstands. Yeah, I know, possibly another conundrum?

Overall, I'm glad that it was seen fit to include Monopteros (Monopteroses, Monopteri??) in an upgraded and updated version of the Gazebos category. Thanks for that, Adam & Thierry.

'Nuff said.

Keith

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

Well, "Monopterus" was new for me too :D, but I wanted a different title than "Round gazebo?" or something like that. So, I visited Wikipedia and on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazebo I learned that "Monopterus" is one of the "Gazebo-like structures" and looks exactly what I had photographed.

Interestingly, the fourth photo in the gallery of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazebo is completely round with walls and called "gazebo" nonetheless: Barrington IL Gazebo 1 - Gazebo - Wikipedia.

BTW: In German it's also "Monopteros" and the German plural is "die Monopteren". And in English the plural seems to be "monopteroi". See monopteros - Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

2 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Well, "Monopterus" was new for me too

What, Andreas, you trying to bend my head with yet another new Gazebo Descriptor? :D Or is it that you just don't spell well in Englisch? 

Love, though that Monopteri appears an acceptable plural. Not that I was at all surprised at that. :)

Keith

• Funny 1
On 9/3/2023 at 11:54 PM, PISA-caching said:

You might be surprised, but I'm only human and make typos every now and then. :D

As do we all. Despite your otherwise impeccable (here I even had to resort to the "typo" checker to get that one right) English, typos are inevitable, even those unnoticeable ones arising from conversing in a "second" language.