Combo Cache Types

Has GeocachingHQ ever explored the possibility of combining cache types?

For example...I am working on a cache with multiple stages (Multi-Cache) that requires the finder to solve a puzzle (Mystery Cache), and I'm struggling trying to decide which cache type to make it when I attempt to get it published.

I consider most of the people on here pretty smart. So, I'm interested in what you have to say. Please share your thoughts regarding the feasibility of allowing cache owners to publish a cache using a combination of cache types. For example, the cache type listed above would be a Mystery/Multi-Cache. Do you think a concept like this would work or not, and why?

Just a thought exercise. I'm not trying to change the world.

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, Vicious Cycle said:

For example...I am working on a cache with multiple stages (Multi-Cache) that requires the finder to solve a puzzle (Mystery Cache), and I'm struggling trying to decide which cache type to make it when I attempt to get it published.

I've found a number of multi-stage puzzle caches. They've been listed as mystery/puzzle caches.

Multi-caches have multiple stages as their defining characteristic, but other cache types can have multiple stages too.

1 hour ago, Vicious Cycle said:

Has Geocaching HQ ever explored the possibility of combining cache types?

For example...I am working on a cache with multiple stages (Multi-Cache) that requires the finder to solve a puzzle 

You already know about the "head exploding" from a "volunteer" ...  :laughing:

Is that "puzzle" simply a field puzzle within the Multi?   We'd done quite a few of 'em like that.

-  Unfortunately, many had maintenance issues, and rather than hoof the many miles to fix it, the "CO" would archive 'em. 

Realizing we were burning gas n time for caches we'll never complete, we stopped doing them...

Some cache types have different methods to find them, logging requirements are different too.

IIRC, the only thing you can't change after creating a cache is its Type.  It seems there's a good reason...

Edited by cerberus1
removed a dee...
16 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Is that "puzzle" simply a field puzzle within the Multi?

It's a "Clue" game concept (yes...one that's been done ad nauseam). It's basically a 3-stage multi-cache where the finder whittles down the possible suspects, murder weapons, and possible rooms where the crime took place until they're left with the solution (and coordinates to the final). So, in reality, it's a multi-cache that has a fictional story along with it. (I guess I just resolved my own debate about what cache type to use.)

To help in "breaking a tie" between a Mystery and a Multi, ask "what happens at the posted coordinates?"  If the geocacher has to visit the posted coordinates, and then solves a puzzle, then lean towards Multi-Cache.  If the first step involves solving a puzzle at home, then lean towards Mystery Cache.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 5
20 hours ago, Keystone said:

To help in "breaking a tie" between a Mystery and a Multi, ask "what happens at the posted coordinates?"  If the geocacher has to visit the posted coordinates, and then solves a puzzle, then lean towards Multi-Cache.  If the first step involves solving a puzzle at home, then lean towards Mystery Cache.

This is a good starting point, but the nature of what seekers need to do along the way to the final should also be part of the equation. If it's just basic arithmetic, counting things, copying information, etc., then lean towards Multi-Cache. If it involves advanced math, manipulating a physical puzzle, logical deduction, or other types of puzzle-solving, then lean towards Mystery/Puzzle Cache.

There are regional variations though. I've geocached in areas where basic offset caches (copy digits from existing signs/monuments) were consistently listed as mystery/puzzle caches rather than as multi-caches. And I've seen caches listed as multi-caches that were (to me) obviously puzzle caches.

Keystone nailed it. 
Am I expected to determine the location before I arrive (mystery) or after I arrive (multi) at the posted coordinates?
When traveling to a new area, I look for mystery caches I can solve before I get there. 
When I pull up a mystery and it says “at the posted coordinates do x,y,z” I would have preferred that having been listed as a multi. 
Conversely, when I’m in the field and I see a mystery, I’m reluctant to pull up the cache page if I don’t have solved  coordinates for it. 

Edited by HoochDog
  • Helpful 2
21 hours ago, Keystone said:

This is exactly how reviewers in Germany handle it. If you to research/solve something at home, it's a Mystery, but if you can just read the listing to prepare your gear and then head out to the listing coordinates, it's a Multi.

I have done multis with very difficult field puzzles (taking hours to solve), but this is usally at least indicated by a "Field Puzzle" attribute and a D4+ rating, and often explicitly mentioned in the listing.

• Upvote 2