Need help please with puzzle !!

Graceful91

I would really appreciate the help. I hope I'm not breaking another rule in the forum. If so, I will delete the message of course.

Really new to this hobby.

There is a question mark near my house. I understood the words listed in the point of interest summary. There is a riddle from the letter A to the letter Z - and the person who composed the riddle asks us to identify the name of the movie in each letter.

*I'm not asking for help finding the names of the movies!* I did this with Google and it was great and challenging.

!!Here my question starts:!!

At the end of the puzzle there is a (mathematical?) exercise that will reveal to me the point of coordination.

But what conversion process should I do? What action? After all, it is not possible for a movie name and another movie name to give a result with a numerical value without action.

Maybe someone with similar experience will be able to figure out what to do at the end of the puzzle?

*I'm not asking for solutions to the puzzle, but only an understanding of what action to take from me*

Edited by geoawareUSA9
Removing puzzle information
10 minutes ago, Graceful91 said:

I hope I'm not breaking another rule in the forum.

I'm afraid you are... :(

Have you asked the owner for help?

2.4.15 "Publish on our websites or anywhere else, solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache or Adventure without consent from the owner."

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Graceful91 said:

At the end of the puzzle there is a (mathematical?) exercise that will reveal to me the point of coordination.

But what conversion process should I do? What action? After all, it is not possible for a movie name and another movie name to give a result with a numerical value without action.

Sometimes the challenge, the whole point of a puzzle is that cachers must figure out where the numbers are.  Looks like there are clues on the cache page.  It's not good for Forum members to post help and hints.  It's a puzzle for a reason.

Does it have a rather high Difficulty rating?  If so, prepare for difficulty.  Good luck, I hope you solve it!

But if the Cache Owner is in fact not responsive, the cache container itself may be a problem.

• Upvote 1

A general bit of guidance for such math equations:

Coordinates have 3 numbers after the decimal point. So you need to translate the capital letters into numbers (the puzzle part), then do the math. I would guess that in the first set of coordinates, the parentheses are NOT for multiplication, but simply to separate the maths for each decimal in the coordinate.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Graceful91 said:

Maybe someone with similar experience will be able to figure out what to do at the end of the puzzle?

According to section 2.4.15 of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] Publish on our websites or anywhere else, solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache or Adventure without consent from the owner." Therefore, I won't help you with converting the names of the movies into numbers. That's part of the puzzle. However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago). And at the end, I have included an example of just the math, turning numbers into coordinates.

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 35° xx.xxx W 084° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 35xxxxx084xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 35 (or the digits 3 and 5) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 084 (or the digits 0, 8, and 4) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

If you ask the cache owner for a hint, then be sure to mention the approaches you have tried so far, and the results those approaches have yielded. It can also be helpful to work together with others who are trying to solve the same puzzle. Geocaching events are a good place to meet other geocachers; ask around to see if anyone else is trying to solve the same puzzle(s) as you.

Other useful resources include:

1 hour ago, TriciaG said:

Coordinates have 3 numbers after the decimal point. So you need to translate the capital letters into numbers (the puzzle part), then do the math. I would guess that in the first set of coordinates, the parentheses are NOT for multiplication, but simply to separate the maths for each decimal in the coordinate.

Yes, exactly what TriciaG said. But here is an example using the formula in the puzzle you're asking about. Hopefully that will make this kind of "geocaching arithmetic" a little more clear.

Let's say (hypothetically) that the answers produced the following numbers:

A=9 B=1 C=2 D=3 E=4 F=5 G=6

Start by inserting those numbers into the coordinates formula, and then working the math. With the above digits as examples, you would get the following:

N 32 6.(A-B-C)(D+E)(B+F) E 34 52.DDG =

N 32 6.(9-1-2)(3+4)(1+5) E 34 52.336 =

N 32 6.(6)(7)(6) E 34 52.336 =

N 32 6.676 E 34 52.336

• Upvote 1