Even the mighty fail sometimes!

lee737

14 hours ago, niraD said:

Yeah, I've seen newbies really struggle to latch ammo cans, not to mention the problems when the lid slides off the hinges.

I don't really understand the problem. I could open and close ammunition tins as a child, or if a tough one beyond a child's strength I knew how they worked. These newbies should be adults, with adult strength. Although having written that, and thinking about it as I wrote the previous comment, maybe it's a generational thing. When I was a child these containers were not rare, likely many being from the second world war. My father kept tools in them.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

When I was a child these containers were not rare, likely many being from the second world war.

Exactly. You grew up seeing ammo cans used, and opening and closing them. I recall using them (and other army surplus equipment) when I was camping as a scout.

But for someone who first encounters them as a geocaching container, they can be a bit confusing.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Darwin473 said:

Is that a cow ear tag?

Yes, a trackable cow ear tag.... they've been given out at a few megas here over the years by the looks.... we were given one at a mega near where we live, and I've seen a few other incarnations of them as well....

I'm continuing to be impressed with the Duratech instrument boxes I started using after the extreme wet weather earlier last year. Today I checked on one I put out last July in place of a Sistema that was getting a bit damp inside after heavy rain and everything is bone dry in spite of some pretty savage storms over the past week:

20230131_131257.jpg.c4a7f94e4bb5fbbb7a4a436aa06425eb.jpg

I now have four of them in the field and a couple more on standby in case any of my other caches need upgrading when I get out to do my post-school-holidays checks over the coming weeks.

• Helpful 2
  • Love 1
On 1/28/2023 at 11:10 PM, niraD said:

Yeah, I've seen newbies really struggle to latch ammo cans, not to mention the problems when the lid slides off the hinges.

We know this all too well.... an electronic gadget cache of ours, built in an ammo tin..... a newbie managed to get the lid closed but the lid had moved sideways a little in the hinge, so it filled with water.....

3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm continuing to be impressed with the Duratech instrument boxes I started using after the extreme wet weather earlier last year. 

I bought one to check it out - they are nice, and black too, so no need to paint.... We have several of the polycarbonate ones including a few of the discontinued ones, they have proved bulletproof so far, I do worry about rocks being piled on them too roughly though.

I looked up the smaller ones that Bunnings have stopped selling (it seems) - $50 on Amazon, Bunnings had them for $8, I would go back and buy a carton of them if I could!