eTrex 32X question

GrateBear

Looking for input on this unit. I currently have an Oregon 450 and Oregon 700. I bought the 700 when the on/off button on the 450 failed (but later found an easy way to fix that). I use the 700 most of the time, but am getting increasingly frustrated with it. Today I was geocaching and the 700 turned itself off. When I restarted it, said I had to register it. So, thinking about getting the eTrex. Looking for pros and cons. Thanks. 

I'll chime in....

Going from an Oregon 7x0 to an eTrex 'anything' is a huge step backwards in functionality and features.

How do you normally load geocaches to your Oregon 7x0? How Many at a time?

How frequently do you go geocaching? Do you always plan ahead, or are you more spontaneous?

Are there any features from the Oregon 7x0 you just couldn't live without?

5 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

I'll chime in....

Going from an Oregon 7x0 to an eTrex 'anything' is a huge step backwards in functionality and features.

How do you normally load geocaches to your Oregon 7x0? How Many at a time?

How frequently do you go geocaching? Do you always plan ahead, or are you more spontaneous?

Are there any features from the Oregon 7x0 you just couldn't live without?

Good questions. I’ve been doing 500–600 caches per year, and load 1000 at a time. I’ll do caches along a route when traveling. I way underutilize the features of the 700–I’m not very tech savvy. I really enjoyed using the 450. I started with a Legend CX which suited me just fine. When placing a cache, I use the 450, as I can’t figure out the 700. If I’d seen how to fix the on/off 450 button earlier, I would not have bought the 700. Appreciate your input. 

9 hours ago, GrateBear said:

Good questions. I’ve been doing 500–600 caches per year, and load 1000 at a time. I’ll do caches along a route when traveling. I way underutilize the features of the 700–I’m not very tech savvy. I really enjoyed using the 450. I started with a Legend CX which suited me just fine. When placing a cache, I use the 450, as I can’t figure out the 700. If I’d seen how to fix the on/off 450 button earlier, I would not have bought the 700. Appreciate your input. 

So long as you are loading the geocaches manually and never load more than 5000 at a time (sounds like it based on what you have stated above), the eTrex 32x MAY be a good choice for you. You will also be losing the touchscreen capabilities of your previous Oregon devices, so you will also have to get used to pushbuttons and a joystick. Battery life will be better and the device will fit into smaller pockets. 

Edited by Atlas Cached
typo
4 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

So long as you are loading the geocaches manually and never load more than 5000 at a time (sounds like it based on what you have stated above), the eTrex 32x MAY be a good choice for you. You will also be losing the touchscreen capabilities of your previous Oregon devices, so you will also have to get used to pushbuttons and a joystick. Battery life will be better and the device will fit into smaller pockets. 

Thanks for the input.  I'll have to take a look at one before I decide what to do.  

I'll chime in with my perspective.

I don't think I could ever buy an eTrex after using an Oregon. It feels too limited, and I'm not a fan of the joystick controller. I would buy a gpsMAP 65 or 66 first, if not go looking for another Oregon. 

However, I've been using my Oregon less and less these days, finding that my phone and one of several available apps are just as easy to use and often more convenient. I take the Oregon with me on hikes and for geocaching trips when I'm out of service, but even then I find myself planning ahead and downloading PQs for offline use. I mainly use the GPS for hike logs and backcountry navigation and my phone for geocaching - it's rare that I'm making major hikes to a geocache, and when I am, that's when I'll use the Oregon for geocaching.

I imagine you carry your phone with you while you're out anyway, so unless there's a reason you are dead set against using it for geocaching, I'd give it a try.

Been there with the power button failures, a 300 and a 650. Repaired both of them but still replaced them with a 600 and a 750. I would do a little research on your 700. I'd register it hookup to your WIFI and enable bluetooth. I really enjoy using Geocaching Live. My 750 has been a very stable device, maybe the only gripe is a too sensitive touch screen.