Bug: Map of pocket query doesn't work

irisisleuk

When I go to https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/ I used to be able to see the caches in the pocket query by clicking on the maps icon in the Preview column. 

But now I won't get the map of the pocket query but a map of caches nearby my home location.

Also when I then click on one of the pocket queries to the left of the map (under Your Pocket Queries) nothing happens.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

I'm unable to reproduce what you're describing.

Mapping PQs works just fine for me:

• from the map icon to the left of the PQ name on the PQ page
  • when selecting "Map this location" from the PQ preview when generating a new PQ
  • when switching back and forth between different PQs on the browse map.

Please provide additional screenshots and step-by-step instructions for what you're doing/clicking to see the issue you're describing.

Edited by Bl4ckH4wkGER

Have you changed any script-blocking settings?

You need to enable Javascript, either completely, or at least for geocaching.com and code.jquery.com if you're using something like NoScript to be selective.

If that doesn't help, try blocking cookiebot.com.  It seem they've been tinkering with it lately.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

22 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

I'm unable to reproduce what you're describing.

Mapping PQs works just fine for me:

• from the map icon to the left of the PQ name on the PQ page
  • when selecting "Map this location" from the PQ preview when generating a new PQ
  • when switching back and forth between different PQs on the browse map.

Please provide additional screenshots and step-by-step instructions for what you're doing/clicking to see the issue you're describing.

I kept on searching, since making screenshots of something that isn't there is very hard to do. And now I discovered that it works if I change the map preferences to Leaflet. It doesn't work when you choose Google maps. So I presume you should be able to reproduce it now by changing the map preference.

1 hour ago, irisisleuk said:

I kept on searching, since making screenshots of something that isn't there is very hard to do. And now I discovered that it works if I change the map preferences to Leaflet. It doesn't work when you choose Google maps. So I presume you should be able to reproduce it now by changing the map preference.

When I posted that I wasn't able to reproduce it, I was actually running Google map tiles. That still works right now.

I now also tried with the Leaflet tiles also and that works as expected, too.

We'll need more detail on what OS, Browser, Browser version you're running.

Please also make sure that you're not running any scripts or browser extensions that may interfere with the site or block essential cookies. Thanks :) 

One computer with Windows 10 Home, version 22H2, 19045.2486 tried 

Chrome Version 108.0.5359.126 and then updated to Version 109.0.5414.75

but also Microsoft Edge 108.0.1462.76 

And another computer:

Windows 10 Enterprise, 21H2, 19044.2364
Microsoft Edge: Version 108.0.1462.76

All give the same issue: won't see the map that belongs to the pocket query when using the map preference Google maps ( shows all caches instead, starting around home location), but with all versions it does show the correct map when using Leaflet.

I'm not running any scripts or browser extensions and I only block third-party cookies. And this functionality worked last week and I didn't change anything on my computer.

• Helpful 1

I've been having the same issue with pocket queries lately. Using WIndows 10 - Chrome Browser.

If I go to the PLAY dropdown and click on Pocket Queries, it opens what appears to be the Browse Map. However, the left side panel shows all my pocket queries that appear to be hyperlinked or whatever but when you click on any of them, nothing happens.

Quite by accident I found what appears to be a workaround or another way to get the PQ's pulled up.

I go to the Browse Map from the Play Dropdown menu and the Pocket Queries "button" is in the upper right corner of the left side panel and when I click on that it shows the pocket queries in the side panel (as it does in the browse map) but now when I click on a pocket query, it actually works.

Prior to this glitch, I would simply go to the PLAY dropdown menu, Hit Pocket Queries and then hit the Map icon and that would show the query. It stopped doing this at least a week ago.

Not sure if this is a glitch or something that is being changed but, this does not work how it did before... 

No settings have been changed in the making of the Topic.

Good thing they got rid of benchmarking so we could have more glitches on the webpage.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

Windows 10, Firefox,.

Have exactly the same issue. Preview of the PQ map takes me to my home location not the location of the PQ. The same happens when selecting the PQ from the map drop down list. Not tried the leaflet option.

*Update* Well that was strange went and tried the Leaflet map option and it worked as per normal, switched to Google maps and it's working. Closed down Firefox and tried again and it's working..... isn't IT wonderful.....:lostsignal:

*Update 2* It's lost the plot again....!!

Edited by WinningMs
Updates
  • Love 1

I am having this same issue also as of yesterday (2/21).  It works if I change my map preferences to Leaflet, but it doesn't work when I change to Google Maps.  This is happening on Windows 10/Chrome and also Android/Chrome and Windows 10/Edge.  Cleared my geocaching.com cookies and also tried in incognito mode in Chrome and got the same results.  I tried running a PQ so it was "fresh" and it still didn't map.

This appears to be working for other cachers, but not working for some of us, so seems to somehow related to our accounts.  Would love a solution to this one.

Edited by Darth Leviosa

I also had the same issue with query maps. I changed 'cookie' setting and fixed it [as stated previously]

To do this: 

On main geocaching screen, clip down arrow to right of your user_id, select 'settings', select 'Cookies' near bottom of left side, find 'change your consent' several lines down, click then select 'Allow All'. problem will go away. 

[Oddly you must allow Advertising to make it work :wub:.]

Using PC + chrome + geocaching.com

• Helpful 1

I just started to have this problem in the past week.

Either I get a map showing several states with every cache shown.  Or I get a zoomed in look of a few miles around my home location showing every cache.  One time just now I clicked the "Preview in Geocaching Maps" icon from my https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/ and it did display correctly that one time.

I disabled Greasemonkey and Tampermonkey which did not resolve this issue.

Windows 7

Firefox 110.0 (64-bit)

Was running Project-GC but disabled the script without a difference.

Edited by Cyclops
On 2/22/2023 at 10:46 PM, GZseeker said:

I also had the same issue with query maps. I changed 'cookie' setting and fixed it [as stated previously]

To do this: 

On main geocaching screen, clip down arrow to right of your user_id, select 'settings', select 'Cookies' near bottom of left side, find 'change your consent' several lines down, click then select 'Allow All'. problem will go away. 

Thanks a lot for this instruction. I'm happy it isnow  working the way it should be. 

Something must have been changed in the code, because I never had this problem before and I never allowed advertising cookies. 

Sneaky, those changes.

On 2/22/2023 at 10:46 PM, GZseeker said:

To do this: 

It's not a solution, and it cannot be.

A website cannot malfunction if you do not allow advertising cookies.

I have the same issue, and i will never allow advertising cookies. Technical cookies can be used, without any advertising purpose.

Hope this issue will be solved, because it's not always easy to see which geocaches are in the PQ.

Thanks

• Funny 1
  • Love 1
On 2/22/2023 at 4:46 PM, GZseeker said:

To do this: 

Thanks to 2Abendsegler and GZseeker that worked, kind of.  I tried it and a popup appeared asking what level of cookies I wanted.  I clicked "Use necessary cookies only " and it did not help.

Then I clicked "Allow all" and it did fix the problem.

I still consider this a bug/problem as a user should be able to select "Use necessary cookies only " if that's what they want.

Edited by Cyclops
  • Love 1

I was just playing around with the cookies fix 2Abendsegler and GZseeker mentioned some more.  I used the "Customize" version.  Starting with only the "Necessary" option, the problem still existed.  I then starting adding them one at a time "Preferences", then "Statistics" each addition did not fix the problem.  I really thought they would.

Then I added the "Advertising" option and it worked.  That seems so wrong that an Adverting cookie seems to be at the root of this problem.  Especially since, I thought that premium members don't get ads.

Edited by Cyclops
  • Helpful 1
14 hours ago, Cyclops said:

I still consider this a bug/problem

Of course, it is a bug.
For example: A click to the map icon in a PQ of the PQ list takes me to the home location not the location of the PQ.
There is also a bug in the browser console:

Unbenannt.JPG.88a1d5f90634a0d3e724e0fe300b544e.JPG

13 hours ago, Cyclops said:

Especially since, I thought that premium members don't get ads.

Premium members also get ads.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

Of course, it is a bug.
For example: A click to the map icon in a PQ of the PQ list takes me to the home location not the location of the PQ.
There is also a bug in the browser console:

Unbenannt.JPG.88a1d5f90634a0d3e724e0fe300b544e.JPG

Premium members also get ads.

You certainly dig deeper than I do with that browser console bug you noted.

And I guess my ad blocking software works really good on GC.com as I can't remember seeing an ad in a long time.

Edited by Cyclops

I have just seen something new on the map displaying of a pocket query.  From the "Running Pocket Query:", I have this;

image.thumb.png.ea329899cc2a23a0755c989889f518c3.png

Then when I click on the "Map the Location", I get this;

image.thumb.png.d8c4933e234291f322c71ea1e7e6d712.png

Only two caches are shown.  The first one in the list is under the left hand panel.

What happened to the other four.