Any suggestions on how to find caches with specific longitude or latitude

MNTA

Working on two grandfathered challenges to get all 1000 longitude/latitude finds. Through random luck I'm down to needing 11 in each. But searching for specific qualifying caches is difficult now that they no longer display longitude and latitude outside the  individual cache listing.

Suggestions?

Open a pocket query file in a text editor.  You want the .gpx file (which is actually XML format) from the zip file.

Do a text search for ".314" or whatever you need.  Nearby you'll find the GC code, etc.

I haven't actually tried this, but I think it should work.  Good luck.  EDIT: tried it; you'll need one extra step, converting your desired coords to decimal-minutes format (eg 51.836767, better trim that) before searching, because that's the format in the .gpx file.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Open a pocket query file in a text editor.  You want the .gpx file (which is actually XML format) from the zip file.

Do a text search for ".314" or whatever you need.  Nearby you'll find the GC code, etc.

That's a great idea, I was going to suggest that someone could probably do something in GSAK, but using a text editor is clever....

It's not going to be so simple given that (if I've understood correctly) you would want to be looking for all caches with .000 as the Longitude part, so N45 01.000, N45 02.000,..., N45 59.000, (repeat for N40, N41,.. N50 depending on how far you're prepared to travel) then the same with the Latitude.

It would be possible to setup something in GSAK if you use that. Simplest would probably be do a GSAK export of all unfound caches to a .csv (make sure you include the Latitude and Longitude columns) then open the .csv in your favourite spreadsheet app and do filters for Longitude or Latitude including ".000".

Edited by MartyBartfast
1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

I haven't actually tried this, but I think it should work.  Good luck.  EDIT: tried it; you'll need one extra step, converting your desired coords to decimal-minutes format (eg 51.836767, better trim that) before searching, because that's the format in the .gpx file.

It's not that simple, as the coordinates in gpx files are in decimal degrees rather than DDM.

And in GSAK you can use the SQLite manager to do a simple query filter on a database. Even do groups and ranges and conversions.

Technically if you can get the gpx converted to a database format you can read on a Mac, you could it there too without gsak.

Edited by thebruce0