Cemetery Cache

homeboy_ohmboy

I've seen them all over so I assume they are okay but is there any special requirements I need to look out for? I was at a cemetery today finding a couple and it was near where my girlfriend's uncle is buried so I mentioned to her that we should hide one near where he is buried. Where his tombstone is he has a bench so I was thinking of placing it around that. Is there anything special I need to do?

Can of worms?? :D

Rules seem to differ everywhere regarding where you can and can't place caches in cemeteries. Around here, they are quite commonly multis where you gather numbers from headstones etc, and then the final is stashed off the side somewhere out of the way, even outside of the grounds altogether....

• Helpful 3
16 minutes ago, lee737 said:

Rules seem to differ everywhere regarding where you can and can't place caches in cemeteries.

Yep. Check your local rules.

In California, where I used to live, I even found one cemetery cache that was placed in an active cemetery, on the grave marker, as one of the memorial items the family was allowed to leave at the grave according to cemetery policy.

In Tennessee, where I live now, physical caches or stages are prohibited in or around any cemetery.

Your local rules are probably somewhere in between these extremes.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2

I happen to like cemetery caches, partly because the residents don't seem to mind me walking around looking.  In Florida they do not allow geocaches in cemeteries but I have seen some on the periphery, such as the fence or a tree just outside the confines of the cemetery.  In Michigan and Indiana they are common, even at times right at the headstone, although that is not the norm.

I recently included a cemetery stop in a multi-cache.

• Love 1

As noted by the helpful replies above, the guidance on cemetery caches varies from one region to another.  Geocaches must be placed in compliance with all applicable laws, and those laws vary.  Many jurisdictions restrict activities that are allowed in cemeteries, or the times when the public may visit cemeteries.  For Maryland, you should note the guidance on cemeteries in the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki.  The rest of the details should be discussed with your local Community Volunteer Reviewer.

• Helpful 3
16 hours ago, homeboy_ohmboy said:

I've seen them all over so I assume they are okay but is there any special requirements I need to look out for? I was at a cemetery today finding a couple and it was near where my girlfriend's uncle is buried so I mentioned to her that we should hide one near where he is buried. Where his tombstone is he has a bench so I was thinking of placing it around that. Is there anything special I need to do?

Did you ask for permission yet?  When you submit a cache placement to the Reviewer, you attest that you received permission.

• Helpful 2
On 10/28/2022 at 12:19 PM, cerberus1 said:

Did you ask for permission yet?  When you submit a cache placement to the Reviewer, you attest that you received permission.

Yes. I got permission from the caretaker. I to8my girlfriend that she needs to design this one and do a small paragraph about her uncle and his legacy. Between my birthday, my daughter's birthday and Halloween we just haven't gotten to it yet. But it's definitely the next cache I'm hiding