UNESCO Global Geoparks

Within the last hour I opened the third of the several Guinness World Records books I had requested through interlibrary loans, searching for a particular item.

The book in question had been sent from the library at Tumbler Ridge, BC. Immediately upon opening the front cover a bookmark fell out onto my lap. It was basically a very well created and executed advertisement for the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark.

I don't believe I had ever heard of UNESCO Global Geoparks, so I decided to investigate. Here's the informational header, from The Source:

UNESCO Global Geoparks are single, unified geographical areas where sites and landscapes of international geological significance are managed with a holistic concept of protection, education and sustainable development. Their bottom-up approach of combining conservation with sustainable development while involving local communities is becoming increasingly popular. At present, there are 177 UNESCO Global Geoparks in 46 countries. A full list is available with more details on each geopark.

UNESCO’s work with geoparks began in 2001. In 2004, 17 European and 8 Chinese geoparks came together at UNESCO headquarters in Paris to form the Global Geoparks Network (GGN)(link is external) where national geological heritage initiatives contribute to and benefit from their membership of a global network of exchange and cooperation.

On 17 November 2015, the 195 Member States of UNESCO ratified the creation of a new label, the UNESCO Global Geoparks, during the 38th General Conference of the Organisation. This expresses governmental recognition of the importance of managing outstanding geological sites and landscapes in a holistic manner.

The Organization supports Member States’ efforts to establish UNESCO Global Geoparks all around the world, in close collaboration with the Global Geoparks Network.

Given that we already have World Heritage Sites and UNESCO Biosphere Reserves covered, it would seem to me an easy and obvious step to also include UNESCO Global Geoparks.

Why not check the site out for yourself, poke into all the links, then come back here and tell us what you think of its viability as a Waymarking Category?

Impatiently awaiting feedback - Keith

1 hour ago, T0SHEA said:

Global Geoparks Network" Group Details

Global Geoparks Network Forum Post

I would consider adding these to the UNESCO Biosphere Reserves with a category name change to include UNESCO Global Geoparks and of course a rewrite of the category.

BRILLIANT!!!

The two are sufficiently similar in direction, ideology, philosophy, intention and scope that your proposal seems, to me at least, the most sensible direction to take.

I hadn't thought to check out other previously created groups.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

UNESCO Biosphere Reserves is still in the revision process.

We are now accepting UNESCO Global Geoparks. 

Update: October 27, 2022
All approved waymarks that do not meet the new requirements are grandfathered.

This category now offers two separate and distinct categories; UNESCO Biosphere Reserves and UNESCO Global Geoparks which address environmental aspects of our continued existence on this planet. Both have, as primary mandates, the promotion and fostering of preservation of our lands, our seas and our atmosphere, that they shall remain productive and habitable well into the future.

wayfrog

We will need a new category name change to UNESCO Biosphere Reserves and Global Geoparks

Edited by T0SHEA
  • Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
57 minutes ago, Bear and Ragged said:

If it any/all of the sites, naming convention will pay a big part in making sure there are no duplicates.

Actually B&R, a closer reading of the requirements will reveal the fact that duplicates ARE allowed, since many of the Biospheres and Geoparks are quite large.

"Other waymarkers can post the same Biosphere Reserve or Global Geopark." - From Instructions for Posting.

Keith