Clarification on cemetery caches

WoodlandAlliance

I hid a cache in a cemetery and got a message that they need approval from the cemetery owner now, which makes sense.

My question, if I place a puzzle cache near a cemetery, and to solve the puzzle you need to go into the cemetery, do I still need permission?

My assumption is no because I'm not putting anything on the property of the cemetery, but I want to make sure.

• Funny 1
49 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Even Adventure Labs, which don't place a physical item, state in the guidelines that you have permission from the landowner or land manager.

Just saying.

This is something that's always made me scratch my head, not just for ALs but anything with virtual waypoints. My three ALs are in a national park (whose geocaching policy specifically says that virtual caches and waypoints don't need permission), along a public beach and on a designated public walk along beaches, roads and footpaths. The latter has its questions based on the informational signs placed at each of the five "lands" specifically for people to look at and read, yet you're supposed to get permission from someone (who?) for cachers to read those signs? These are places people are meant to visit and take an interest in.

With cemeteries, I can see there might be a problem if hordes of cachers descend on a small churchyard plot, but for a large public cemetery where people are meant to be walking about (like Sydney's Rookwood necropolis) or in old cemeteries where people with an interest in history or geneology are encouraged to walk around, look at the gravestones and soak up the atmosphere, it seems odd to be wanting to get permission for cachers to do what everybody else is already doing.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Even Adventure Labs, which don't place a physical item, state in the guidelines that you have permission from the landowner or land manager.

The same applies to EarthCaches, although the guidelines for them seem to focus on avoiding sensitive locations.

As a reminder, the OP's question is about virtual waypoints for geocaches hidden in cemeteries. 

The OP should check their regional Wiki page.  For example, if the OP lives in South Carolina or Tennessee, even a virtual waypoint within a cemetery would not be permitted.  In general, cemetery geocaching guidance varies greatly from one state/province/country to another.

• Helpful 4
15 hours ago, WoodlandAlliance said:

I hid a cache in a cemetery and got a message that they need approval from the cemetery owner now, which makes sense.

My question, if I place a puzzle cache near a cemetery, and to solve the puzzle you need to go into the cemetery, do I still need permission?

My assumption is no because I'm not putting anything on the property of the cemetery, but I want to make sure.

Assuming you're looking to have a cache published in Wisconsin, where your others are...  :)

Your state's Regional placement wiki says, "Cemeteries require explicit permission (even the undeveloped parts). Please be sure to include your permission information (name or title of person granting permission) in your cache description. Also please make a statement in your cache page text letting people know that the hide is not on or near any headstones."

Not positive, but if you have permission listed (we shouldn't be on another's property w/o permission anyway...), and there's no "hide" near/on a headstone, you should be fine.

Edited by cerberus1