Puzzles in the Real World

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a nice puzzle featuring a street scene from Brugge, Belgium.  As I have no chance of visiting Belgium anytime soon, I thought I'd share some images of the puzzle here in case anyone lives there, or is visiting there, and would want to track down the location of the image and use it to post a Waymark in the "Puzzles in the Real World" category.  

20220628_170000.thumb.jpg.4263feb8b971e131e78ee20adbbf12d0.jpg

Edited by jonathanatpsu
  • Upvote 1

Keith, 

I'm curious as to why you said, "Perhaps that bespeaks a degree of integrity within the community,  which would be pleasant news."  Prior to creating the original post I looked at the category description for Puzzles in the Real World and found that it allows photos of puzzle boxes from retail stores and from the internet.  I noticed that you are an officer for the category.  Would creating a waymark from these photos be unacceptable for the category?  

33 minutes ago, jonathanatpsu said:

Would creating a waymark from these photos be unacceptable for the category?  

Not really. But the difficult task would be to get there and take the picture from the exact position. And currently I could imagine only a handful of waymarkers not so far away from Brügge, who could and probably would do take a picture.

But it would be an even nicer move if the taken images were then made available for you to create the waymark.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't want to post it unless I were able to visit the location myself.  It seemed to me from reading the category description that the image of the puzzle could come from anywhere, but the photos of the actual location should come from visiting it in person.  

• Love 1
On 7/21/2022 at 9:55 AM, jonathanatpsu said:

Keith, 

I'm curious as to why you said, "Perhaps that bespeaks a degree of integrity within the community,  which would be pleasant news."  Prior to creating the original post I looked at the category description for Puzzles in the Real World and found that it allows photos of puzzle boxes from retail stores and from the internet.  I noticed that you are an officer for the category.  Would creating a waymark from these photos be unacceptable for the category?  

Actually, I might have been a bit short of sleep upon writing what I did, failing to truly think the situation through.

Posting a Waymark using your photos would still entail one's visiting the site and taking the appropriate photos from the appropriate location. And, as an officer in the category, and knowing the other officers, I can safely state that, in the absence of those (photos), it would never pass muster.

No, I wouldn't consider using those photos to be a transgression worthy of mention, as they are also publicly available from more than one site. However, there seems to be yet another roadblock for anyone wishing to use said pix. That is the inclusion of the "Puzzle or 3d model Manufacturer's Website", a required variable. A couple of minutes of searching failed to reveal said website, the reason being that the company no longer exists.

Given that I am only an officer in the group I shan't opine on the potential eligibility of such a Waymark, deferring instead to our esteemed leader.

Keith

On 7/21/2022 at 10:45 AM, FamilieFrohne said:

But it would be an even nicer move if the taken images were then made available for you to create the waymark.

Typical Erik - EVER the benefactor, EVER giving and NEVER taking!!

I know a group who would, or could, if they were sufficiently motivated, benefit greatly from long term contact with a person such as yourself!

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
21 hours ago, chrissyml said:

I have a photo of those buildings from our trip to Belgium and would be happy to make it available to jonathanatpsu to use.

So, Chrissy, do you happen to have a photo in your (I assume to be large, possibly VAST) collection which very closely matches the images on the puzzle? If so, post it, and others, here and mebbe, just mebbe, with sufficient poking and prodding, we could convince Johnny to create a Waymark. Of course, failing that, do the Waymark yourself. As per the second above post, you may have to get it past our category leader, but, it's always worth a try.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII