Maximum cache page length?

BigFurryMonster

On 6/22/2022 at 10:11 AM, BigFurryMonster said:

Is there a maximum cache page length?

Maybe I'm confusing it with something else, but when we started, I thought it was 500 words for the short and 5000 for the long description.

Now I don't think there is one.      :)

Even then we wondered who would actually go through all that before it became annoying...

Most times we don't bother with very-lengthy descriptions on low D/T hides, finding that most never had anything to do with the cache.

• Helpful 1
21 hours ago, Hügh said:

...but when I tried to add 50,000,000 characters...

185653864_ScreenShot2022-06-22at9_56_54AM.thumb.png.d9c11534fd8c26f031b5cd661c34f491.png

... which I regard as a feature ;) . Otherwise, if you actually could stuff 50 million characters into a cache description, it would create 50MB+ GPX files, which might easily crash apps and/or GPS devices.

Many years ago, there was a 3rd-party HTML editor to create cache descriptions, which uses "inline" BASE64-encoded images, leading to several MB of data per cache. This didn't work well at all with many GPS devices, and after some complaints, GS disallowed such coding.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

500 words for the short and 5000 for the long description

Ohdearthatwouldbequiterestrictivewouldntit?

34 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

which might easily crash apps and/or GPS devices

You give me an idea...

1908247258_ScreenShot2022-06-23at8_38_47AM.thumb.png.2db206ea41c9f283da637c60bdb602c8.png

My guess it that there likely is no (attainable) limit because they are storing the cache description in a TEXT column.

Edited by Hügh
  • Funny 3