GPS activated content

I personally love some of the functions in the Adventure Lab Caches. For example, contents that loads only at the coordinates for an in-game waypoint.

Is that function possible to program into, let´s say, an ordinary Mystery cache?

Example: When the player opens the myst at home, they can see a link, but they cannot follow it. But when they arrive at a given coordinate, it is possible to click the link for more info.

37 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Wherigos and GeoMobs would appeal to your interest. 

That could be true. How ever, I feel that the interface of the WIG-builder is not that user friendly. At least for someone that´s not too familjar with a lot of programming languages. Maybe I just need a crash-course? :D

21 hours ago, Holt75 said:

That could be true. How ever, I feel that the interface of the WIG-builder is not that user friendly. At least for someone that´s not too familjar with a lot of programming languages. Maybe I just need a crash-course? :D

There are different builders with different levels of "user-friendliness", but I would look into intercaching as geoawareUSA9 suggested. It's a more "mobile friendly experience" and by that it's automatically easier to understand, even without programming skills. :) 

You've placed caches at multiple spots I've had plans for so it would be fitting if you would place the first intercache in Uppsala. I've just been thinking about it since 2017 and haven't got around to it yet. :lol:

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Pleu said:

There are different builders with different levels of "user-friendliness", but I would look into intercaching as geoawareUSA9 suggested. It's a more "mobile friendly experience" and by that it's automatically easier to understand, even without programming skills. :) 

You've placed caches at multiple spots I've had plans for so it would be fitting if you would place the first intercache in Uppsala. I've just been thinking about it since 2017 and haven't got around to it yet. :lol:

Sorry. ;) Great minds think alike! :D I just might look in to that. :)

• Upvote 1

It can be done custom built if you know how to program web pages that make use of GPS data. A while back I began working on something like that. Then, as mentioned above, Intercache came out providing tools to build your own much like a Wherigo. The problem is web-based gps tools will be open to location spoofing, much easier than Adventures and Wherigos using native apps.  And creative programming may be needed to make 'hacking' and source viewing the easy way to get answers.

In any case, if you want to place a regular geocache with this as a kind of field puzzle, you'll need to use web-based GPS programming, which is more advanced, but allowed as an external website (with disclaimer in the listing). Or try out Intercache and see if it accomplishes what you want to do.

• Helpful 1
On 6/8/2022 at 5:23 AM, geoawareUSA9 said:

See also intercache.

8 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

It can be done custom built if you know how to program web pages that make use of GPS data. A while back I began working on something like that.

First I've ever heard of intercaching!

I've been working on a similar thing, but I've been finding it difficult to find the energy — I'm worried that the reviewer will turn it down citing something like "you can't require the finder to provide personal information (ie. live GPS location data) to a third party website (ie. my website.)"  But maybe that's not the case? If all the location data is processed on the client, is that okay? Can I send that data to my server to be processed there?

Sure, the location data is only provided when the webpage is open and in focus, but that still a lot of accurate data being provided to a third party as part of a "required" component of the cache. I was under the impression that HQ didn't like that? I dunno. 

Edited by Hügh
Words are hard.

I'm under the impression that since it's not hosted on GC servers, as long as the disclaimer is clear for the offsite link, then it's the discretion of the geocacher. Intercaching is just that - though I'm not sure if the entire 'game' is loaded locally in the mobile browser, I highly doubt it.  If as a CO you want people not to be concerned, you can plaster the website with disclaimers and promises about how the location data is [safely] used :)

(but, IANAR)

Edited by thebruce0
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

I'm under the impression that since it's not hosted on GC servers, as long as the disclaimer is clear for the offsite link, then it's the discretion of the geocacher. Intercaching is just that - though I'm not sure if the entire 'game' is loaded locally in the mobile browser, I highly doubt it.  If as a CO you want people not to be concerned, you can plaster the website with disclaimers and promises about how the location data is [safely] used :)

(but, IANAR)

I guess the finder is clicking the link and going through that warning dialog. I'll chat with my local Reviewer about it.