On-line tool for plotting Canada caches

gpsvisualizer

I've updated my free on-line mapping program, GPS Visualizer, so that it now directly supports plotting .LOC files from geocaching.com. (It also supports various other file formats for both tracks and waypoints.)

The URL: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

(Someone suggested that I should post in this forum because sometimes Canadians feel shortchanged by software that stops its coverage at the U.S. border. Well, here's your chance for revenge: the Canadian background maps available in GPS Visualizer are excellent. Just be aware that sometimes the NRCan server is excruciatingly slow, and sometimes it's down.)

Please let me know if you have any problems... and have fun!

Adam Schneider

adamschneider.net

This is a neat application. In addition to LOC files it works with GPX files from Pocket Queries. I used Watcher to filter and fed the resultant GPX file to GPS Visualizer using the NRCAN and NRCAN+Landsat basemaps. Very simple, very quick and the results are certainly good enough for a caching expedition. I've included a couple of screen shots below for a 3x2km map section. Haven't tried tracks and routes yet but judging by the cache waypoints being dead on I expect the same for tracks. Nice to see a mapping application that includes Canada icon_smile.gif That blank white space on the left edge of the NRCAN map is the USA - Turning Point 211 is a virtual point on the border in the St Clair river. In GPS Visualiser you can click on the cache and it takes you to the cache page.

74801_600.jpg

74801_700.jpg

"If you don't know where you are going, then it doesn't much matter where you are." - Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass

Very nice page! I like the link for the Mac support poll icon_smile.gif Where are you getting the raw data for NRCan Political background maps? I am working on a project that could make use of that data! It would save me a lot of time as I was doing a lot by hand.

FarSideX

Took tupperware container - Left nothing.

I'm getting the maps straight from the NRCan server. It wasn't completely straightforward, though; I had to dig the necessary URLs out of the CubeWerx "CubeXPLOR" demo at http://demo.cubewerx.com/demo/cubexplor/cubexplor.cgi.

FarSideX: if you want more info, e-mail me. I'm also working on a little program whose entire purpose is fishing out background maps; maybe that would be helpful for whatever project you're cooking up.