Where are finds in chronological order?

pulmonaryhip

2 hours ago, PulmonaryHip said:

When I used to search for my finds - from the search page, or from my profile page, or from the geocaches pages, they always came up in chronological order.  Now I just see what appears to me to be a random order.  How do I find a list of my finds with the date I found them?

See where it says "Found by me" and <Found by MyUserName>?  Click on either one of these to remove it and TaDa there's your finds in chronological order. Does this make any sense to anyone????????

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

See where it says "Found by me" and <Found by MyUserName>?  Click on either one of these to remove it and TaDa there's your finds in chronological order. Does this make any sense to anyone????????

Stranger yet, clicking on either of those does put my most recent finds at the top of the list, BUT, my total finds is different in each case (and I can reproduce the numbers each time I do it.)  I have 2442 finds, and when I click the X by Found by Me (leaving the filter for Found by CAVinoGal), the # is 2337.  The difference is 105, which is the number attributed to Adventure Lab caches. So that sort of makes sense, I guess.

When I click the X to remove Found by CAVinoGal and leave the filter at Found by Me, the number of finds drops to 1812, a difference of 630.  I don't know where the difference comes into play, and it's odd that when I click to view the last cache on the listings, if they are in fact in chronological order (they seem to be) the list with 1812 takes me back to October 2018 while the list with 2337 goes back only to December of 2018; more caches but a shorter timespan?

If I want to look at recent finds, this is OK, sort of, I guess.  The first page of 50 caches seem to be the same  Take that back, there is one cache missing on the first page of the results for the Found by Me listing, I just haven't gone through all 50 to see which it is yet.  That may be a clue....

EDIT - the missing cache is an archived event; so it appears that searching using my own name gives me the archived caches as well and using Found by me omits the archived caches.  But combining the two using both Found by Me and Found by CAVinoGal (which is what the ALL Geocache Finds link does) gives all but lab caches, but in some random order.

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Helpful 1
9 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

But combining the two using both Found by Me and Found by CAVinoGal (which is what the ALL Geocache Finds link does) gives all but lab caches, but in some random order.

I think that order is the order in which the cache was last found by anyone and not just you, even though the Last Found date it shows is the date you found it.

58 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Does this make any sense to anyone????????

I guess it must make sense to the people who designed it to work like that.

• Helpful 4
8 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Stranger yet, clicking on either of those does put my most recent finds at the top of the list, BUT, my total finds is different in each case (and I can reproduce the numbers each time I do it.)  I have 2442 finds, and when I click the X by Found by Me (leaving the filter for Found by CAVinoGal), the # is 2337.  The difference is 105, which is the number attributed to Adventure Lab caches. So that sort of makes sense, I guess.

When I click the X to remove Found by CAVinoGal and leave the filter at Found by Me, the number of finds drops to 1812, a difference of 630.  I don't know where the difference comes into play, and it's odd that when I click to view the last cache on the listings, if they are in fact in chronological order (they seem to be) the list with 1812 takes me back to October 2018 while the list with 2337 goes back only to December of 2018; more caches but a shorter timespan?

If I want to look at recent finds, this is OK, sort of, I guess.  The first page of 50 caches seem to be the same  Take that back, there is one cache missing on the first page of the results for the Found by Me listing, I just haven't gone through all 50 to see which it is yet.  That may be a clue....

EDIT - the missing cache is an archived event; so it appears that searching using my own name gives me the archived caches as well and using Found by me omits the archived caches.  But combining the two using both Found by Me and Found by CAVinoGal (which is what the ALL Geocache Finds link does) gives all but lab caches, but in some random order.

You should remove Found by Me. If you remove Found by CAVinoGal, you will not see your archived finds. Hence the lower number. Actually you will only see the most recent 1,000, that's why the list without archived goes back longer.

All of this is discussed in

because, contrary to common sense, viewing your find list is a "search".

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2

Thanks for the additional info, @barefootjeff and @ChrisBli - I've read through some of the  Release notes but it's a lot!!  Jeff, it doesn indeed seem to be sorted by the most recent find on the cache, not necessarily mine - the first several listed are all found today, though my find date varies widelt, and the locations are scattered around the country! (I found caches in New York, Colorado, Arizona, California - all of which were found today so they all came to the top of the list.  Confusing for me to  see all those listed all jumbled up like that...

And yes, Chris, I figured out that the difference is the caches that have been archived since I logged a find, so the list is kind of useless as a record of my finds.  I wish it would come up like it used to!!!

Edited by CAVinoGal
typo correction
  • Helpful 1
On 2/27/2022 at 12:28 AM, barefootjeff said:

I think that order is the order in which the cache was last found by anyone and not just you, even though the Last Found date it shows is the date you found it.

I guess it must make sense to the people who designed it to work like that.

To be honest I have no idea whether it makes sense. It is like a faith where the mantra is more white space, phones are great, make it all look the same. They never mind whether it actually works and most new features have so many fundamental bugs on first release. The only exception is the Adventure Labs app where the developers have done a great job, hats off to them.

As I suggested quite a while ago and it fell on stony ground - when you produce new functionality make sure that the existing  business functionality and display still works OK. 

Edited by lodgebarn
  • Helpful 1