Anticipation

Lostboy1966

1 hour ago, lee737 said:

It's always great to see some real effort go into cache presentation and logbooks....I hope it all publishes smoothly....

These damned darn containers have been sitting in my shop for almost a year now while I've tinkered with the lids. I'll be happy to finally get them out in the wild. :D

Those look great and I like the theme.  Will you hide each near something related to the elemental it represents?  

If you're anywhere near the age where you watched Voltron (that's me, a child of the 80's!) you'd remember the blue lion was based under water, the red lion was in lava, the green was in a forest, and the yellow was in the desert.  Sort of like that.  :-)

And no I don't mean to hide the fire rune cache in fire, I just mean something like near a fire department.  

Edited by GeoElmo6000
23 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Those look great and I like the theme.  Will you hide each near something related to the elemental it represents?  

If you're anywhere near the age where you watched Voltron (that's me, a child of the 80's!) you'd remember the blue lion was based under water, the red lion was in lava, the green was in a forest, and the yellow was in the desert.  Sort of like that.  :-)

And no I don't mean to hide the fire rune cache in fire, I just mean something like near a fire department.  

The Water one overlooks a stream, Earth is in a rocky area, Air has a bit of a vista, Fire is...under some tree roots. :unsure: Can't win them all!

Still nothing back from my Reviewer though, so I'm kind of stuck with placing them. The last thing I have to do with the four Traditionals is record a number under each lid that give the final coordinates for a Mystery final - I don't want to do that until I get an OK on my planned placement spots. Permanent Marker is kind of, you know, permanent, so I don't want to write on the plastic until I'm sure my numbers are good - there are a couple other Mystery hides nearby that I have not done yet and I'd hate to find out I am too close to a stage from one of them after I submit. On the bright side, we had good snow melt today so once clear to place I don't have to worry about leaving tracks. 🥾🥾

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Lostboy1966 said:

Nice. But wouldn't you be worried some civilians would find it and use it for real?

That one had been there since 2015 and no-one had. It was well in amongst the undergrowth, in a spot no-one in their right mind would make a fire, but after a summer of almost constant rain the undergrowth won and I've now had to move it to a slightly more accessible spot. It's still well out of sight of the odd muggle who might be wandering nearby, tucked around behind the tree in the centre of this photo:

20220221_102104.jpg.fc65e44bd0473cf80e72e4d4faa47e43.jpg

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

the undergrowth won and I've now had to move it to a slightly more accessible spot. It's still well out of sight of the odd muggle who might be wandering nearby

It's always a balancing act between cover that would deter the average hiker vs. how many Ticks/Thorns/Poisonous Plants Attributes you want to have attached to the Hide. :)

On 2/20/2022 at 5:33 PM, barefootjeff said:

Or in a fake fire pit...

20181026_144548.jpg.337dada2db4891de0615ac2c94d6dd47.jpg

As a dedicated "random camper", I've built many happy campfires in spots exactly like that.

Here's another hazard: flooding.

133e085c-8665-43f4-b152-5fb60527b503_l.j\

This was right next to a washed-out bridge on a logging road I was trying to use to reach a distant cache.  There was a temporary footbridge, and while I was standing there wondering what to do, a pickup parked on the other side, the driver walked across, got into another pickup on this side, and drove off.  If I was thinking fast enough, I could've asked to borrow his keys...

22 minutes ago, Lostboy1966 said:

I've decided to take some time off from the game. Here are the finished containers - they have not seen a day in the woods yet. If anyone would like them, I will give the set away for the cost of shipping. Message me if interested.

Sorry to hear that!  That seems so sudden after all your excitement about this cache series.  

These have a 5th element vibe to them; that's one of my favorite movies!

You worked so hard on these, why not hold onto them and then when you get back into the game, you can hide them then.

29 minutes ago, Lostboy1966 said:

I've decided to take some time off from the game. Here are the finished containers - they have not seen a day in the woods yet. If anyone would like them, I will give the set away for the cost of shipping. Message me if interested.

Lids.jpg

It breaks my heart that those won't fly away across the Atlantic by themselves...

Cost of shipping and customs would be a nightmare

Hope you will get back soon.

Edited by SeekTheCache
lost in translation :) wrong choice of word customs/costumes