SILENT KEY

In the Ham Radio Community when an operator "passes" that event is noted in their publications. And it is noted that there key has gone silent (ceased operations due to their having passed)

Just an old cacher noting that other old cachers are passing without their passing and or major contributions being noted. "Blue Bazes" comes to mind.

Anyone think that it is time to consider memorializing the passage of folks??

GEO- HUGGGGZZZZ TO ALL and 73 to those others out there.

• Funny 1
  • Love 1

I was going to renew my carry permit, to find that all my past and even future "JIC" references have "passed".   Not a good sign...

Someone has to come forward to know when someone "passes", so maybe a pinned thread would be okay.

We see some notices once-in-a-while in the Regional forums, from a good friend or relative.   I don't mind that either.

No offense, but "major contributions" for one may have been a bane to others.  I have a lot of examples, but that's another thread.   :)

7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I was going to renew my carry permit, to find that all my past and even future "JIC" references have "passed".   Not a good sign...

Someone has to come forward to know when someone "passes", so maybe a pinned thread would be okay.

We see some notices once-in-a-while in the Regional forums, from a good friend or relative.   I don't mind that either.

No offense, but "major contributions" for one may have been a bane to others.  I have a lot of examples, but that's another thread.   :)

Valid ponts ... 

On 10/30/2021 at 2:45 PM, cerberus1 said:

<...>

No offense, but "major contributions" for one may have been a bane to others.  I have a lot of examples, but that's another thread. 

<...>

Regarding "No offense, but "major contributions" for one may have been a bane to others", at the end it doesn't matter if a person's influence on anyone else was good or bad. 

Noting a passing is noting a passing, and what you have to say about it (or not) is what speaks. 

We're brethren (and sistren?) in this closed-community hobby, and WE forum-rats are an inner-inner-group, and when a cacher is gone, it's certainly appropriate that it be noted.

Back when I had a two-meter ham rig in my car, we all got annoyed at the alta-kocker who would camp out on the local commuting repeater during drive-time and only 'allow' conversations about soldering transistors and diodes and similar 'purist' stuff (equates to Cerberus1's "banes") but when one of them went, we all noted the loss to the community and the concept of "one-of-our-own" transcended all disagreements.

So, I think a place to note this sort of event and say a few words if there's something to say is not at all a bad idea.

Ham Radio calls it "Silent Key". What shall we title ours?

"Archivals"?  (too soon?)

• Upvote 1

I would say memorial caches are the closest equivalent. Publishing caches is basically the geocaching equivalent of broadcasting news. In my area, there's the "LT Memorial Trail" (motogrrl, for example) that has 32 caches so far.

I'm guessing a ham's "publication" is something like a geocacher's profile page, but GS considers profile pages akin to private property, so it would take someone associated with the cacher and ending up with control of the account updating the profile to reflect the death. That does happen, but only rarely.

42 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Back when I had a two-meter ham rig in my car, we all got annoyed at the alta-kocker who would camp out on the local commuting repeater during drive-time and only 'allow' conversations about soldering transistors and diodes and similar 'purist' stuff (equates to Cerberus1's "banes") but when one of them went, we all noted the loss to the community and the concept of "one-of-our-own" transcended all disagreements.

I can't really say there are any prolific COs in our area that anyone considers obnoxious, but I do think that, in the geocaching world, any complaints would be put aside when someone passed away. But notice that's not really true in general in our society anymore. Respecting anyone you disagree with has become passé since people are no longer required -- or even expected -- to understand much less appreciate the validity of any arguments that disagree with their positions. Does anyone doubt it will be a national holiday -- perhaps even officially! -- if President Trump dies?

1 hour ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Ham Radio calls it "Silent Key". What shall we title ours?

"Archivals"?  (too soon?)

"Archived" is the term I've seen used, and I assume most people hearing that used about an individual would understand it. But it does have the disadvantage of being an active verb begging the question, "Archived by whom?" With the rest of geocaching, GS does the archiving, so that's not a pretty picture.

27 minutes ago, dprovan said:

<...>?

"Archived" is the term I've seen used, and I assume most people hearing that used about an individual would understand it. But it does have the disadvantage of being an active verb begging the question, "Archived by whom?" With the rest of geocaching, GS does the archiving, so that's not a pretty picture.

Hmm. I've wondered what happens to people who misbehave on the forums, then you never read them again. That's harsh.